TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The Parlor

Old May 22nd, 2020, 06:09 AM
Christopher Carson

Default [Dixonary] Rnd 3074 The Results

All I can say about this round, is mea culpa. I have a whole rash of lessons learned that I hope will be of benefit. Three messages with defs ended up unchecked in my Junk folder and the fourth error was a mix up of the two Tims. If it weren't a tad early, I'd go downstairs and have tot of Jameson's and do penance. In retrospect, I probably should have scrapped the round and started over. I think I (or someone) may actually have done that once. Anyway, the new dealer is Efrem with his Scottish def. I'm sure his deal will go more smoothly.

Player
Def
Voted For
DPs
Total
AHD
NV

Abel
6 &15

Barrs
3 & 6

Bourne
10 & 13

Cunningham
5 & 6

Dixon
1 & 3

Embler
3 & 4

Keating
2 & 3

Leckenby
2 & 3

Lodge
N/A
6 & 15

Madnick
1 & 2

Mallach, A
N/A
3 & 6

Mallach, E
3 & 14

McGill
NV

Naylor
N/A
6 & 8

Shefler
11 & 15
-

-
Shepherdson
N/A
3 & 6

Widdis
1 & 11
-

-
1. A wickedly brisk westerly wind. From Embler who voted for *3*,4; voted for by Dixon, Madnick, Widdis; Score 3
2. Swift, breezy. From McGill who did not vote; voted for by Keating, Madnick, Leckenby; score 3
3. Impractical, flighty, or unfocused. From AHD; voted for by Barrs, Dixon, Embler, Keatiing, Leckenby, Mallach A., Mallach E., Shepherdson; Score D8
4. British Army slang for a coveted deployment, in a
pleasant climate and away from active combat. From Dixon; voted for 1, *3*; voted for by Embler; Score 3
5. A small side-altar; a wayside oratory [< OE weofod 'altar'] From Keating; voted for 2, *3*; voted for by Cunningham; Score 3
6. [Scot.] Aside, on or to one side; awry; off from the straight line. From Mallach E.; voted for *3*, 14; voted for by Abel, Cunningham, Barrs, Lodge, Mallach A., Naylor, Shepherdson; Score 9
7. The Northern white-faced owl, _Ptilopsis leucotis, named for its call. Dealer Error Misatribution
8. Haughty; pretentious. From Madnick; voted for 1,2; voted for by Naylor; Score 1
9. A pair of two or three wheeled pulleys used to hoist a gaff. From Shefler; voted for 11, 15; voted for by no one; Score Nil
10. Suspicious. From Abel; voted for 6, 15; voted for by Bourne; Score 1
11. The contents of a housewife, especially the tape-measure. From Barrs; voted for *3*, 6; votes from Shefler, Widdis; Score 4
12. [Slang] A strong network connection on a wireless device. From Widdis; voted for 1, 11; voted for by no one; Score Nil
13. Odorous. From Cunningham; voted for 5, 6; voted for by Bourne; Score Nil
14. Magic; unbelievable. From Bourne; voted for 10, 13; voted for by Mallach E.; Score 1
15. A cold native Alaskan man who is over the age of sixty. From Leckenby; voted for 2, *3*; voted for by Abel, Lodge, Shefler; Score 5

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...od.outlook.com.
  View Parent  #2  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 06:58 AM

Default RE: [Dixonary] Rnd 3074 The Results

In thinking about this round, it strikes me that when the dealer misses a definition, and the person whose def it is flags it and the dealer acknowledges it (finds it in his/her spam folder, say) BEFORE anyone has yet voted, rather than give the victim dealer points, it would be preferable (and fairer) for the dealer to recall the list, add the def and send out a new list. No?

Alan

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> On Behalf Of Christopher Carson
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 7:09 AM
To: Dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
Subject: [Dixonary] Rnd 3074 The Results

All I can say about this round, is mea culpa. I have a whole rash of lessons learned that I hope will be of benefit. Three messages with defs ended up unchecked in my Junk folder and the fourth error was a mix up of the two Tims. If it weren’t a tad early, I’d go downstairs and have tot of Jameson’s and do penance. In retrospect, I probably should have scrapped the round and started over. I think I (or someone) may actually have done that once. Anyway, the new dealer is Efrem with his Scottish def. I’m sure his deal will go more smoothly.

Player

Def

Voted For

Guess

DPs

Total

AHD

NV

Abel

6 &15

Barrs

3 & 6

Bourne

10 & 13

Cunningham

5 & 6

Dixon

1 & 3

Embler

3 & 4

Keating

2 & 3

Leckenby

2 & 3

Lodge

N/A

6 & 15

Madnick

1 & 2

Mallach, A

N/A

3 & 6

Mallach, E

3 & 14

McGill

NV

Naylor

N/A

6 & 8

Shefler

11 & 15

-

-

Shepherdson

N/A

3 & 6

Widdis

1 & 11

-

-

1. A wickedly brisk westerly wind. From Embler who voted for *3*,4; voted for by Dixon, Madnick, Widdis; Score 3

2. Swift, breezy. From McGill who did not vote; voted for by Keating, Madnick, Leckenby; score 3

3. Impractical, flighty, or unfocused. From AHD; voted for by Barrs, Dixon, Embler, Keatiing, Leckenby, Mallach A., Mallach E., Shepherdson; Score D8

pleasant climate and away from active combat. From Dixon; voted for 1, *3*; voted for by Embler; Score 3

5. A small side-altar; a wayside oratory [< OE weofod ‘altar’] From Keating; voted for 2, *3*; voted for by Cunningham; Score 3

6. [Scot.] Aside, on or to one side; awry; off from the straight line. From Mallach E.; voted for *3*, 14; voted for by Abel, Cunningham, Barrs, Lodge, Mallach A., Naylor, Shepherdson; Score 9

7. The Northern white-faced owl, _Ptilopsis leucotis, named for its call. Dealer Error Misatribution

8. Haughty; pretentious. From Madnick; voted for 1,2; voted for by Naylor; Score 1

9. A pair of two or three wheeled pulleys used to hoist a gaff. From Shefler; voted for 11, 15; voted for by no one; Score Nil

11. The contents of a housewife, especially the tape-measure. From Barrs; voted for *3*, 6; votes from Shefler, Widdis; Score 4

12. [Slang] A strong network connection on a wireless device. From Widdis; voted for 1, 11; voted for by no one; Score Nil

14. Magic; unbelievable. From Bourne; voted for 10, 13; voted for by Mallach E.; Score 1

15. A cold native Alaskan man who is over the age of sixty. From Leckenby; voted for 2, *3*; voted for by Abel, Lodge, Shefler; Score 5

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...od.outlook.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB65456E04F6E21FF9B922EE3EAEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&ut m_source=footer> .

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...%40comcast.net.
  View Parent  #3  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 07:06 AM
Efrem G Mallach

Default Re: [Dixonary] Rnd 3074 The Results

Alan,

Comparing the old and new lists would identify the one that wasn't in the old list as fake.

Efrem

========================

> On May 22, 2020, at 7:58 AM, <amallach (AT) comcast (DOT) net> <amallach (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> In thinking about this round, it strikes me that when the dealer misses a definition, and the person whose def it is flags it and the dealer acknowledges it (finds it in his/her spam folder, say) BEFORE anyone has yet voted, rather than give the victim dealer points, it would be preferable (and fairer) for the dealer to recall the list, add the def and send out a new list. No?
> Alan
>
>
> From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>> On Behalf Of Christopher Carson
> Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 7:09 AM
> To: Dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailtoixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
> Subject: [Dixonary] Rnd 3074 The Results
>
> All I can say about this round, is mea culpa. I have a whole rash of lessons learned that I hope will be of benefit. Three messages with defs ended up unchecked in my Junk folder and the fourth error was a mix up of the two Tims. If it weren’t a tad early, I’d go downstairs and have tot of Jameson’s and do penance. In retrospect, I probably should have scrapped the round and started over. I think I (or someone) may actually have done that once. Anyway, the new dealer is Efrem with his Scottish def. I’m sure his deal will go more smoothly.
>
> Player
> Def
> Voted For
> Points
> Guess
> DPs
> Total
> AHD
> 3
> NV
> 8
>
>
> 8
> Abel
> 10
> 6 &15
> 1
>
>
> 1
> Barrs
> 11
> 3 & 6
> 2
> 2
>
> 4
> Bourne
> 14
> 10 & 13
> 1
>
>
> 1
> Cunningham
> 13
> 5 & 6
> 1
>
>
> 1
> Dixon
> 4
> 1 & 3
> 1
> 2
>
> 3
> Embler
> 1
> 3 & 4
> 3
>
>
> 3
> Keating
> 5
> 2 & 3
> 1
> 2
>
> 3
> Leckenby
> 15
> 2 & 3
> 3
> 2
>
> 5
> Lodge
> N/A
> 6 & 15
>
>
> 2
> 2
> Madnick
> 8
> 1 & 2
> 1
>
>
> 1
> Mallach, A
> N/A
> 3 & 6
>
> 2
> 2
> 4
> Mallach, E
> 6
> 3 & 14
> 7
> 2
>
> 9
> McGill
> 2
> NV
> 3
>
>
> 3
> Naylor
> N/A
> 6 & 8
>
>
> 2
> 2
> Shefler
> 9
> 11 & 15
> -
>
>
> -
> Shepherdson
> N/A
> 3 & 6
>
> 2
> 2
> 4
> Widdis
> 12
> 1 & 11
> -
>
>
> -
> 1. A wickedly brisk westerly wind. From Embler who voted for *3*,4; voted for by Dixon, Madnick, Widdis; Score 3
> 2. Swift, breezy. From McGill who did not vote; voted for by Keating, Madnick, Leckenby; score 3
> 3. Impractical, flighty, or unfocused. From AHD; voted for by Barrs, Dixon, Embler, Keatiing, Leckenby, Mallach A., Mallach E., Shepherdson; Score D8
> 4. British Army slang for a coveted deployment, in a
> pleasant climate and away from active combat. From Dixon; voted for 1, *3*; voted for by Embler; Score 3
> 5. A small side-altar; a wayside oratory [< OE weofod ‘altar’] From Keating; voted for 2, *3*; voted for by Cunningham; Score 3
> 6. [Scot.] Aside, on or to one side; awry; off from the straight line. From Mallach E.; voted for *3*, 14; voted for by Abel, Cunningham, Barrs, Lodge, Mallach A., Naylor, Shepherdson; Score 9
> 7. The Northern white-faced owl, _Ptilopsis leucotis, named for its call. Dealer Error Misatribution
> 8. Haughty; pretentious. From Madnick; voted for 1,2; voted for by Naylor; Score 1
> 9. A pair of two or three wheeled pulleys used to hoist a gaff. From Shefler; voted for 11, 15; voted for by no one; Score Nil
> 10. Suspicious. From Abel; voted for 6, 15; voted for by Bourne; Score 1
> 11. The contents of a housewife, especially the tape-measure. From Barrs; voted for *3*, 6; votes from Shefler, Widdis; Score 4
> 12. [Slang] A strong network connection on a wireless device. From Widdis; voted for 1, 11; voted for by no one; Score Nil
> 13. Odorous. From Cunningham; voted for 5, 6; voted for by Bourne; Score Nil
> 14. Magic; unbelievable. From Bourne; voted for 10, 13; voted for by Mallach E.; Score 1
> 15. A cold native Alaskan man who is over the age of sixty. From Leckenby; voted for 2, *3*; voted for by Abel, Lodge, Shefler; Score 5
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...od.outlook.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB65456E04F6E21FF9B922EE3EAEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&ut m_source=footer>.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...%40comcast.net <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/004901d63030%2445f4c180%24d1de4480%24%40comcast.ne t?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...93%40gmail.com.
  View Parent  #4  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 07:08 AM
Stephen Dixon

Well, anybody who is fairly observant is going to know that the newly added
def is not the real one, but has been added to the list because the dealer
was prompted to go look for it.

Everybody will have the original list and the new one.

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 7:58 AM <amallach (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:

> In thinking about this round, it strikes me that when the dealer misses a
> definition, and the person whose def it is flags it and the dealer
> acknowledges it (finds it in his/her spam folder, say) BEFORE anyone has
> yet voted, rather than give the victim dealer points, it would be
> preferable (and fairer) for the dealer to recall the list, add the def and
> send out a new list. No?
>
> Alan
>
>
>
>
>
> *From:* dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> *On Behalf
> Of *Christopher Carson
> *Sent:* Friday, May 22, 2020 7:09 AM
> *To:* Dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
> *Subject:* [Dixonary] Rnd 3074 The Results
>
>
>
> All I can say about this round, is *mea culpa*. I have a whole rash of
> lessons learned that I hope will be of benefit. Three messages with defs
> ended up unchecked in my Junk folder and the fourth error was a mix up of
> the two Tims. If it weren’t a tad early, I’d go downstairs and have tot of
> Jameson’s and do penance. In retrospect, I probably should have scrapped
> the round and started over. I think I (or someone) may actually have done
> that once. Anyway, the new dealer is Efrem with his Scottish def. I’m
> sure his deal will go more smoothly.
>
>
>
> Player
>
> Def
>
> Voted For
>
> Points
>
> Guess
>
> DPs
>
> Total
>
> AHD
>
> 3
>
> NV
>
> 8
>
>
>
>
>
> 8
>
> Abel
>
> 10
>
> 6 &15
>
> 1
>
>
>
>
>
> 1
>
> Barrs
>
> 11
>
> 3 & 6
>
> 2
>
> 2
>
>
>
> 4
>
> Bourne
>
> 14
>
> 10 & 13
>
> 1
>
>
>
>
>
> 1
>
> Cunningham
>
> 13
>
> 5 & 6
>
> 1
>
>
>
>
>
> 1
>
> Dixon
>
> 4
>
> 1 & 3
>
> 1
>
> 2
>
>
>
> 3
>
> Embler
>
> 1
>
> 3 & 4
>
> 3
>
>
>
>
>
> 3
>
> Keating
>
> 5
>
> 2 & 3
>
> 1
>
> 2
>
>
>
> 3
>
> Leckenby
>
> 15
>
> 2 & 3
>
> 3
>
> 2
>
>
>
> 5
>
> Lodge
>
> N/A
>
> 6 & 15
>
>
>
>
>
> 2
>
> 2
>
> Madnick
>
> 8
>
> 1 & 2
>
> 1
>
>
>
>
>
> 1
>
> Mallach, A
>
> N/A
>
> 3 & 6
>
>
>
> 2
>
> 2
>
> 4
>
> Mallach, E
>
> 6
>
> 3 & 14
>
> 7
>
> 2
>
>
>
> 9
>
> McGill
>
> 2
>
> NV
>
> 3
>
>
>
>
>
> 3
>
> Naylor
>
> N/A
>
> 6 & 8
>
>
>
>
>
> 2
>
> 2
>
> Shefler
>
> 9
>
> 11 & 15
>
> -
>
>
>
>
>
> -
>
> Shepherdson
>
> N/A
>
> 3 & 6
>
>
>
> 2
>
> 2
>
> 4
>
> Widdis
>
> 12
>
> 1 & 11
>
> -
>
>
>
>
>
> -
>
> 1. A wickedly brisk westerly wind. From Embler who voted for **3**,4;
> voted for by Dixon, Madnick, Widdis; Score 3
>
> 2. Swift, breezy. From McGill who did not vote; voted for by Keating,
> Madnick, Leckenby; score 3
>
> 3. Impractical, flighty, or unfocused. From AHD; voted for by Barrs,
> Dixon, Embler, Keatiing, Leckenby, Mallach A., Mallach E., Shepherdson;
> Score D8
>
>
> pleasant climate and away from active combat. From Dixon; voted for 1,
> **3**; voted for by Embler; Score 3
>
> 5. A small side-altar; a wayside oratory [< OE weofod ‘altar’] From
> Keating; voted for 2, **3**; voted for by Cunningham; Score 3
>
> 6. [Scot.] Aside, on or to one side; awry; off from the straight line.
> From Mallach E.; voted for **3**, 14; voted for by Abel, Cunningham,
> Barrs, Lodge, Mallach A., Naylor, Shepherdson; Score 9
>
> 7. The Northern white-faced owl, _Ptilopsis leucotis, named for its call.
> Dealer Error Misatribution
>
> 8. Haughty; pretentious. From Madnick; voted for 1,2; voted for by Naylor;
> Score 1
>
> 9. A pair of two or three wheeled pulleys used to hoist a gaff. From
> Shefler; voted for 11, 15; voted for by no one; Score Nil
>
>
> 11. The contents of a housewife, especially the tape-measure. From Barrs;
> voted for **3**, 6; votes from Shefler, Widdis; Score 4
>
> 12. [Slang] A strong network connection on a wireless device. From Widdis;
> voted for 1, 11; voted for by no one; Score Nil
>
> 13. Odorous. From Cunningham; voted for 5, 6; voted for by Bourne; Score
> Nil
>
> 14. Magic; unbelievable. From Bourne; voted for 10, 13; voted for by
> Mallach E.; Score 1
>
> 15. A cold native Alaskan man who is over the age of sixty. From Leckenby;
> voted for 2, **3**; voted for by Abel, Lodge, Shefler; Score 5
>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...od.outlook.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB65456E04F6E21FF9B922EE3EAEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&ut m_source=footer>
> .
>
> --
> "Dixonary" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...%40comcast.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/004901d63030%2445f4c180%24d1de4480%24%40comcast.ne t?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>

--

Steve Dixon

-- "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." -- Anonymous

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...ail..gmail.com.
  View Parent  #5  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 07:10 AM
Stephen Dixon

Efrem,

You type faster than me.

Congratulations on the 9. Outstanding!

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 8:06 AM Efrem G Mallach <efrem.mallach (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Comparing the old and new lists would identify the one that wasn't in the
> old list as fake.
>
> Efrem
>
> ========================
>
>
> On May 22, 2020, at 7:58 AM, <amallach (AT) comcast (DOT) net> <amallach (AT) comcast (DOT) net>
> wrote:
>
> In thinking about this round, it strikes me that when the dealer misses a
> definition, and the person whose def it is flags it and the dealer
> acknowledges it (finds it in his/her spam folder, say) BEFORE anyone has
> yet voted, rather than give the victim dealer points, it would be
> preferable (and fairer) for the dealer to recall the list, add the def and
> send out a new list. No?
> Alan
>
>
> *From:* dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> *On Behalf
> Of *Christopher Carson
> *Sent:* Friday, May 22, 2020 7:09 AM
> *To:* Dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
> *Subject:* [Dixonary] Rnd 3074 The Results
>
> All I can say about this round, is *mea culpa*. I have a whole rash of
> the two Tims. If it weren’t a tad early, I’d go downstairs and have tot of
> Jameson’s and do penance. In retrospect, I probably should have scrapped
> the round and started over. I think I (or someone) may actually have done
> that once. Anyway, the new dealer is Efrem with his Scottish def. I’m
> sure his deal will go more smoothly.
>
> Player
> Def
> Voted For
> Points
> Guess
> DPs
> Total
> AHD
> 3
> NV
> 8
>
>
> 8
> Abel
> 10
> 6 &15
> 1
>
>
> 1
> Barrs
> 11
> 3 & 6
> 2
> 2
>
> 4
> Bourne
> 14
> 10 & 13
> 1
>
>
> 1
> Cunningham
> 13
> 5 & 6
> 1
>
>
> 1
> Dixon
> 4
> 1 & 3
> 1
> 2
>
> 3
> Embler
> 1
> 3 & 4
> 3
>
>
> 3
> Keating
> 5
> 2 & 3
> 1
> 2
>
> 3
> Leckenby
> 15
> 2 & 3
> 3
> 2
>
> 5
> Lodge
> N/A
> 6 & 15
>
>
> 2
> 2
> Madnick
> 8
> 1 & 2
> 1
>
>
> 1
> Mallach, A
> N/A
> 3 & 6
>
> 2
> 2
> 4
> Mallach, E
> 6
> 3 & 14
> 7
> 2
>
> 9
> McGill
> 2
> NV
> 3
>
>
> 3
> Naylor
> N/A
> 6 & 8
>
>
> 2
> 2
> Shefler
> 9
> 11 & 15
> -
>
>
> -
> Shepherdson
> N/A
> 3 & 6
>
> 2
> 2
> 4
> Widdis
> 12
> 1 & 11
> -
>
>
> -
> Score D8
> pleasant climate and away from active combat. From Dixon; voted for 1,
> **3**; voted for by Embler; Score 3
> Score 1
> Nil
> Mallach E.; Score 1
>
> --
> "Dixonary" group.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB65456E04F6E21FF9B922EE3EAEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&ut m_source=footer>
> .
>
> --
> "Dixonary" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...%40comcast.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/004901d63030%2445f4c180%24d1de4480%24%40comcast.ne t?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>
>
> --
> "Dixonary" group.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...93%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/F426915F-1C41-488A-AC4C-7F86932AFE93%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_sour ce=footer>
> .
>

--

Steve Dixon

-- "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." -- Anonymous

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...ail.gmail..com.
  View Parent  #6  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 07:35 AM
Debbie

Shouldn't I have a 5 score? I got 3 votes plus guessing the real one? Or
should I finish my coffee?

On Fri, May 22, 2020, 7:09 AM Christopher Carson <clcarson (AT) live (DOT) com> wrote:

> All I can say about this round, is *mea** culpa*. I have a whole rash of
> the two Tims. If it weren’t a tad early, I’d go downstairs and have tot
> of Jameson’s and do penance. In retrospect, I probably should have
> scrapped the round and started over. I think I (or someone) may actually
> have done that once. Anyway, the new dealer is Efrem with his Scottish
> def. I’m sure his deal will go more smoothly.
>
>
>
> Player
>
> Def
>
> Voted For
>
> Points
>
> Guess
>
> DPs
>
> Total
>
> AHD
>
> 3
>
> NV
>
> 8
>
>
>
>
>
> 8
>
> Abel
>
> 10
>
> 6 &15
>
> 1
>
>
>
>
>
> 1
>
> Barrs
>
> 11
>
> 3 & 6
>
> 2
>
> 2
>
>
>
> 4
>
> Bourne
>
> 14
>
> 10 & 13
>
> 1
>
>
>
>
>
> 1
>
> Cunningham
>
> 13
>
> 5 & 6
>
> 1
>
>
>
>
>
> 1
>
> Dixon
>
> 4
>
> 1 & 3
>
> 1
>
> 2
>
>
>
> 3
>
> Embler
>
> 1
>
> 3 & 4
>
> 3
>
>
>
>
>
> 3
>
> Keating
>
> 5
>
> 2 & 3
>
> 1
>
> 2
>
>
>
> 3
>
> Leckenby
>
> 15
>
> 2 & 3
>
> 3
>
> 2
>
>
>
> 5
>
> Lodge
>
> N/A
>
> 6 & 15
>
>
>
>
>
> 2
>
> 2
>
> Madnick
>
> 8
>
> 1 & 2
>
> 1
>
>
>
>
>
> 1
>
> Mallach, A
>
> N/A
>
> 3 & 6
>
>
>
> 2
>
> 2
>
> 4
>
> Mallach, E
>
> 6
>
> 3 & 14
>
> 7
>
> 2
>
>
>
> 9
>
> McGill
>
> 2
>
> NV
>
> 3
>
>
>
>
>
> 3
>
> Naylor
>
> N/A
>
> 6 & 8
>
>
>
>
>
> 2
>
> 2
>
> Shefler
>
> 9
>
> 11 & 15
>
> -
>
>
>
>
>
> -
>
> Shepherdson
>
> N/A
>
> 3 & 6
>
>
>
> 2
>
> 2
>
> 4
>
> Widdis
>
> 12
>
> 1 & 11
>
> -
>
>
>
>
>
> -
>
>
>
> Score D8
>
>
> pleasant climate and away from active combat. From Dixon; voted for
> 1, **3**; voted for by Embler; Score 3
>
>
>
>
> Score 1
>
>
>
>
>
> Nil
>
> Mallach E.; Score 1
>
>
>
>
> --
> "Dixonary" group.
> .
>

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...mail.gmail.com.
  View Parent  #7  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:35 AM
Christopher Carson

Hi Alan,

As the most recent perpetrator I’d like to make one comment. You are absolutely correct with one consideration. When the list is reposted with a new def, it is almost certain that the new def was one that was ‘missed’ and therefore the players can assume that it is a fake. That was my consideration when I got the first notice of a def problem. The other situation of course is that often the omission doesn’t come up until well into the round when the person who was missed calls attention. There’s really no good solution and I managed to exacerbate the whole situation by making not just one goof but four. I could try and blame Outlook since the 3 people who got shunted to Junk had been participants before and hadn’t been treated that way. I can only conclude that a recent update to Outlook reset some of its spam filters. However, in actuality, there’s really no good excuse for my not checking the Junk folder before finalizing the definition list.

Christopher L. Carson
65 Longview Drive
Green Brook, NJ 08812

Basta. Adesso finita la commedia.

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> On Behalf Of amallach (AT) comcast (DOT) net
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 7:58 AM
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
Subject: RE: [Dixonary] Rnd 3074 The Results

In thinking about this round, it strikes me that when the dealer misses a definition, and the person whose def it is flags it and the dealer acknowledges it (finds it in his/her spam folder, say) BEFORE anyone has yet voted, rather than give the victim dealer points, it would be preferable (and fairer) for the dealer to recall the list, add the def and send out a new list. No?
Alan

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com...oups (DOT) com> <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com<mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>> On Behalf Of Christopher Carson
To: Dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com...oups (DOT) com>

All I can say about this round, is mea culpa. I have a whole rash of lessons learned that I hope will be of benefit. Three messages with defs ended up unchecked in my Junk folder and the fourth error was a mix up of the two Tims. If it weren’t a tad early, I’d go downstairs and have tot of Jameson’s and do penance. In retrospect, I probably should have scrapped the round and started over. I think I (or someone) may actually have done that once. Anyway, the new dealer is Efrem with his Scottish def. I’m sure his deal will go more smoothly.

Player
Def
Voted For
DPs
Total
AHD
NV

Abel
6 &15

Barrs
3 & 6

Bourne
10 & 13

Cunningham
5 & 6

Dixon
1 & 3

Embler
3 & 4

Keating
2 & 3

Leckenby
2 & 3

Lodge
N/A
6 & 15

Madnick
1 & 2

Mallach, A
N/A
3 & 6

Mallach, E
3 & 14

McGill
NV

Naylor
N/A
6 & 8

Shefler
11 & 15
-

-
Shepherdson
N/A
3 & 6

Widdis
1 & 11
-

-
5. A small side-altar; a wayside oratory [< OE weofod ‘altar’] From Keating; voted for 2, *3*; voted for by Cunningham; Score 3

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com<mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB65456E04F6E21FF9B922EE3EAEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB65456E04F6E21FF9B922EE3EAEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&ut m_source=footer>.
--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com<mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/004901d63030%2445f4c180%24d1de4480%24%40comcast.ne t<https://groups..google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/004901d63030%2445f4c180%24d1de4480%24%40comcast.ne t?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...od.outlook.com.
  View Parent  #8  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:38 AM
Christopher Carson

Yes, you should. Given how things were going, it was a dead certainty that at least one scoring issue would crop up. <lol>

Christopher L. Carson
65 Longview Drive
Green Brook, NJ 08812

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> On Behalf Of Debbie
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 8:35 AM
To: Dixonary <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
Subject: Re: [Dixonary] Rnd 3074 The Results

Shouldn't I have a 5 score? I got 3 votes plus guessing the real one? Or should I finish my coffee?

On Fri, May 22, 2020, 7:09 AM Christopher Carson <clcarson (AT) live (DOT) com<mailto:clcarson (AT) live (DOT) com>> wrote:

Player
Def
Voted For
DPs
Total
AHD
NV

Abel
6 &15

Barrs
3 & 6

Bourne
10 & 13

Cunningham
5 & 6

Dixon
1 & 3

Embler
3 & 4

Keating
2 & 3

Leckenby
2 & 3

Lodge
N/A
6 & 15

Madnick
1 & 2

Mallach, A
N/A
3 & 6

Mallach, E
3 & 14

McGill
NV

Naylor
N/A
6 & 8

Shefler
11 & 15
-

-
Shepherdson
N/A
3 & 6

Widdis
1 & 11
-

-

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB65456E04F6E21FF9B922EE3EAEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB65456E04F6E21FF9B922EE3EAEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&ut m_source=footer>.
--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/CANeWAQd03vARb6qiVEvNj%2BOqSrGXXvQ7-hc55vyuOQzrhVEY%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/CANeWAQd03vARb6qiVEvNj%2BOqSrGXXvQ7-hc55vyuOQzrhVEY%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=em ail&utm_source=footer>.

--
  View Parent  #9  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:52 AM

My suggestion, I hope, did not imply any criticism. In the immortal words of the Bard (or someone), S___ happens. That said, I recognize the flaw in my argument, and all I can say, in words that may resonate for those of you who may remember the immortal Gilda Radner in her Saturday Night Live role as Emily Latella, “never mind.”

Alan

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> On Behalf Of Christopher Carson
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 9:36 AM

Hi Alan,

As the most recent perpetrator I’d like to make one comment. You are absolutely correct with one consideration. When the list is reposted with a new def, it is almost certain that the new def was one that was ‘missed’ and therefore the players can assume that it is a fake. That was my consideration when I got the first notice of a def problem. The other situation of course is that often the omission doesn’t come up until well into the round when the person who was missed calls attention. There’s really no good solution and I managed to exacerbate the whole situation by making not just one goof but four. I could try and blame Outlook since the 3 people who got shunted to Junk had been participants before and hadn’t been treated that way. I can only conclude that a recent update to Outlook reset some of its spam filters. However, in actuality, there’s really no good excuse for my not checking the Junk folder before finalizing the definition list.

Christopher L. Carson

65 Longview Drive

Green Brook, NJ 08812

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> > On Behalf Of amallach (AT) comcast (DOT) net <mailto:amallach (AT) comcast (DOT) net>
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>

Alan

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> > On Behalf Of Christopher Carson
To: Dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailtoixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>

Player

Def

Voted For

Guess

DPs

Total

AHD

NV

Abel

6 &15

Barrs

3 & 6

Bourne

10 & 13

Cunningham

5 & 6

Dixon

1 & 3

Embler

3 & 4

Keating

2 & 3

Leckenby

2 & 3

Lodge

N/A

6 & 15

Madnick

1 & 2

Mallach, A

N/A

3 & 6

Mallach, E

3 & 14

McGill

NV

Naylor

N/A

6 & 8

Shefler

11 & 15

-

-

Shepherdson

N/A

3 & 6

Widdis

1 & 11

-

-

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...od.outlook.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB65456E04F6E21FF9B922EE3EAEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&ut m_source=footer> .

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...%40comcast.net <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/004901d63030%2445f4c180%24d1de4480%24%40comcast.ne t?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...od.outlook.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB6545A3C0814D15924CC60F59AEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&ut m_source=footer> .

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...%40comcast.net.
  View Parent  #10  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 09:26 AM
Christopher Carson

No problem, Alan. Your suggestion was taken in the way it was presented and appreciated. The game has a long history of S___ happening from time to tme and all are pretty used to it. The operative maxim, presented in the original set of rules, is “It’s only a game. Have fun.” When it quits being fun and takes on an authoritative bent, I don’t think it will survive. In fact that’s the whole approach to the rules. If you haven’t had a chance to see them, there are a couple of files available on line. The original rules, Paul Keating’s “Real Rules”, and another. They’re worth a read.

Christopher L. Carson
65 Longview Drive
Green Brook, NJ 08812

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> On Behalf Of amallach (AT) comcast (DOT) net
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 9:53 AM

My suggestion, I hope, did not imply any criticism. In the immortal words of the Bard (or someone), S___ happens. That said, I recognize the flaw in my argument, and all I can say, in words that may resonate for those of you who may remember the immortal Gilda Radner in her Saturday Night Live role as Emily Latella, “never mind.”

Alan

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com...oups (DOT) com> <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com<mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>> On Behalf Of Christopher Carson
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com...oups (DOT) com>

Hi Alan,

Christopher L. Carson
65 Longview Drive
Green Brook, NJ 08812

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com...oups (DOT) com> <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com<mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>> On Behalf Of amallach (AT) comcast (DOT) net<mail...cast (DOT) net>
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com...oups (DOT) com>

Alan

To: Dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com...oups (DOT) com>

Player
Def
Voted For
DPs
Total
AHD
NV

Abel
6 &15

Barrs
3 & 6

Bourne
10 & 13

Cunningham
5 & 6

Dixon
1 & 3

Embler
3 & 4

Keating
2 & 3

Leckenby
2 & 3

Lodge
N/A
6 & 15

Madnick
1 & 2

Mallach, A
N/A
3 & 6

Mallach, E
3 & 14

McGill
NV

Naylor
N/A
6 & 8

Shefler
11 & 15
-

-
Shepherdson
N/A
3 & 6

Widdis
1 & 11
-

-

--
--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/004901d63030%2445f4c180%24d1de4480%24%40comcast.ne t<https://groups..google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/004901d63030%2445f4c180%24d1de4480%24%40comcast.ne t?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB6545A3C0814D15924CC60F59AEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/BL0PR04MB6545A3C0814D15924CC60F59AEB40%40BL0PR04MB 6545.namprd04.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&ut m_source=footer>.
--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/012f01d63040%245278ffb0%24f76aff10%24%40comcast.ne t<https://groups..google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/012f01d63040%245278ffb0%24f76aff10%24%40comcast.ne t?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
  View Parent  #11  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:43 AM
Daniel B Widdis

The objection to “if a def is added we’ll know it’s fake” assumes that we’ve never had a dealer forget to omit the real def.* But it has happened. 😊

We do have precedent for this (which may show up in Paul’s Real Rules update next year).

A brief search of the mailing list archive shows up Round 2668 where Tim Lodge sent a second list to “correct a typo”… that’s all the second message said.* The typo was four definitions omitted from the first list.* I’m pretty sure I remember at least a handful of other cases where a corrected def list was sent out to undo other goofs like leaving player’s name/signature in the def, etc.

With a suitable subject line of “corrected”, those of us who see the new message before the old one, won’t know any better.*

Obviously it’s the dealer’s call and much like DQs, probably different depending on how early after sending the error is caught and the total number of players impacted.*

From: Dixonary <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> on behalf of Christopher Carson <clcarson (AT) live (DOT) com>
Reply-To: Dixonary <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
Date: Friday, May 22, 2020 at 7:26 AM
To: Dixonary <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>

No problem, Alan.* Your suggestion was taken in the way it was presented and appreciated.* The game has a long history of S___ happening from time to tme and all are pretty used to it.* The operative maxim, presented in the original set of rules, is “It’s only a game.* Have fun.”* When it quits being fun and takes on an authoritative bent, I don’t think it will survive.* In fact that’s the whole approach to the rules.* If you haven’t had a chance to see them, there are a couple of files available on line.* The original rules, Paul Keating’s “Real Rules”, and another.* They’re worth a read.

Christopher L. Carson

65 Longview Drive

Green Brook, NJ 08812

Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 9:53 AM

Alan

Hi Alan,

Christopher L. Carson

65 Longview Drive

Green Brook, NJ 08812

Alan

To: Dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com

PlayerDefVoted ForPointsGuessDPsTotal
AHD3NV 8 8
Abel106 &15 1 1
Barrs113 & 6 2 2 4
Bourne1410 & 13 1 1
Cunningham135 & 6 1 1
Dixon41 & 3 1 2 3
Embler13 & 4 3 3
Keating52 & 3 1 2 3
Leckenby152 & 3 3 2 5
LodgeN/A6 & 15 2 2
Madnick81 & 2 1 1
Mallach, AN/A3 & 6 2 2 4
Mallach, E63 & 14 7 2 9
McGill2NV 3 3
NaylorN/A6 & 8 2 2
Shefler911 & 15 - -
ShepherdsonN/A3 & 6 2 2 4
Widdis121 & 11 - -

--

--

--

--

--

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...40dixonary.net.
  View Parent  #12  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 11:00 AM
Johnb - co.uk

On 22/05/2020 16:43, Daniel B Widdis wrote:
> Obviously it’s the dealer’s call

Yay - da dealah is God - well, at least for this round and providing the
Jameson's lasts (me I prefer old Buhmills - there is no accounting for
taste)

*JohnnyB*

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...hn-barrs.co.uk.
  View Parent  #13  
Old May 22nd, 2020, 01:14 PM
Christopher Carson

Ah Yes, Bushmill’s Black is a tasty item but not wise to order on 2nd Avenue in New York City. Jameson’s is made in Dublin and Bushmill’s in the north. Same caution on ordering a Black and Tan. There it’s more properly referred to as a Half and Half (or maybe ‘Arf and ‘Arf). I used to listen to a radio program on WBPI called Radio Free Erin. Very interesting station with some really good music but tended to be pretty political. Sort of like the group Seanchai with their Gaelic HipHop song Fenians that referred to “unrepentant Finian bastards”. I think things down on 2nd Ave. have normalized a bit since then. <lol>

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> On Behalf Of Johnb - co.uk
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixonary] Rnd 3074 The Results

Yay - da dealah is God - well, at least for this round and providing the Jameson's lasts (me I prefer old Buhmills - there is no accounting for taste)

JohnnyB

--