[Dixonary] HOBSON-JOBSON results
When I ran across this word, I thought it would work well.
1. a procrastinator [Abell] NV (Kornelis) (Naylor) 2 points
2. festal excitement [Chambers] (Barrs) D1
3. lack of choice; pot luck. [Lodge] 5 8 (Madnick) (Hale) 2
4. presented without evidence [Hale] 3 6 nil
5. the use of literal expressions [Madnick] 3 8 (Barrs) (Lodge) 2
6. _archaic_ discomposed or rumpled. [Carson] 8 12 (Hale) (Widdis) 2
7. one who entertains foolinsh speculations [Mallach] 8 9 (Shefler)
8. a melange or mixture of various foods hastily put together; a
potpourri. [Shefler] 7 8 (Madnick) (Bourne) (Stevens) (Lodge)
((Shefler)) (Carson) (Mallach) 6!
9. a false assertion by one person that he or she is someone else,
usually in order to claim an inheritance. [Stevens] 8 12 (Mallach) 1
10. 1. a take it or leave it job offer. (see Hobson's choice) 2. a town
cryer or any job using the voice. (deriv. rhyming-slang from Hobson's
choice (1) meaning voice. [Barrs] *2 5 2 + 0 = 2
11. a programming language ued to specify the manner, timing, and other
requirements of execution of a task or set of tasks submitted for
execution, especially in background, on a multitasking computer. [Widdis]
6 12 (Kornelis) 1
12. a man's tall. collapsible top hat, held open or in shape by springs
and usually covered with a black, silky fabric [named for hat sellers Oscar
Hobson and Henry Jobson, who popularised the style in the 1870s] [Naylor]
1 7 (Widdis) (Bourne) (Stevens) (Carson) 4
Kornelis 1 11
Bourne 8 12
The book originally responsible for this weird definition is now often
called "Hobson-Jobson" by itself!
Mike is the new dealer, Shani is the winner with 4 points, and the Dealer
counts the score for the dictionary as "B1"
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.