TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The Parlor

Old September 2nd, 2018, 09:27 AM
Efrem G Mallach

Default [Dixonary] Round 2919, PADALYVIS, results

Folks,

The next dealer is Shani Naylor with her splashing sound, thanks to one vote for it plus her vote for the correct answer, both near the end of the voting period. Those pushed her past Tim Bourne, who led for most of the round - to the point that I actually sent him a "you might want to begin to think about getting ready to dust off your word list" email before Shani picked up those three points. The Tims, Bourne and Lodge, share the coveted second-place position with scores of 5. (T. Bourne would have won a tie-breaker had it come to that, as his score was natural.)

Padalyvis is definition 13, "an adverbial participle describing an action performed by one that causes or otherwise relates to the action of another." An example sentence provided by one source is "While Jonas is singing, Mantas is listening." "Singing" would be in the padalyvis form of the verb because the singing causes the listening. Had Jonas not been singing, Mantas couldn't have listened to him. (Lithuanian is one of the only languages, perhaps the only one, to have this form. Mantas is the second most popular name for boys in Lithuania. You might want to keep that in mind in case you need to to name a baby boy there.) Anyhow, it got a D3.

Full results:

1. having a limp. From Abell, T. who voted 12, 14. Voted for by: Bourne, T. Score: 1.

2. [Anglo-Indian] a water-wagon. From Cunningham, D. who voted 3, 14. Voted for by: Shepherdson, N. Score: 1.

3. sucking proboscis or sucking end. From Madnick, J. who voted 6, 8. Voted for by: Cunningham, D.; Embler, D. Score: 2.

4. precognition, clairvoyance; literally "road-sight." From McGill, R. who voted 9, 10. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

5. the process by which leaves change color in autumn. From Shefler, M. who voted 12, *13*. Voted for by: None. Score: 2.

6. the webbing between the toes of certain breeds of dogs. From Embler, D. who voted 3, 8. Voted for by: Madnick, J.; Bourne, T.; Sable, S. Score: 3.

7. a medieval shield large enough to protect the whole body. From Carson, C. who did not vote. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

8. a creeping plant common in tropical parts of South America. From Bourne, T. who voted 1, 6. Voted for by: Madnick, J.; Embler, D. ; Sable, S.; Stevens, G.; Shepherdson, N. Score: 5.

9. a new FDA-approved treatment for peripheral arterial disease. From Sable, S. who voted 6, 8. Voted for by: McGill, R. Score: 1.

10. a politician who accepts bribes disguised as donations to a fake charity. From Stevens, G. who voted 8, 11. Voted for by: McGill, R. Score: 1.

11. [Philosophy] a metaphysical doctrine according to which there are true contradictions. From Lodge, T. who voted 12, *13*. Voted for by: Stevens, G.; Naylor, S.; Hale, K. Score: 5.

12. a splashing sound elicited when a patient is shaken, indicative of fluid and air in a body cavity. From Naylor, S. who voted 11, *13*. Voted for by: Abell, T.; Shefler, M.; Lodge, T.; Hale, K. Score: 6.

13. an adverbial participle describing an action performed by one that causes or otherwise relates to the action of another. From Dictionary who did not vote. Voted for by: Shefler, M.; Lodge, T.; Naylor, S. Score: 3.

14. a theory that posits the existence of ectoplasm as the material manifestation of spirits of the dead, first proposed in 1884 by Simon Antrim of Bavaria. From Shepherdson, N. who voted 2, 8. Voted for by: Abell, T.; Cunningham, D. Score: 2.

No definition from Hale, K. who voted 11, 12. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 0.

Since it's 2:30 am in New Zealand now, Shani probably won't find out about her win for a while - but it's all hers when she wakes up!

Efrem

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
  View Parent  #2  
Old September 4th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Ryan McGill

Default Re: [Dixonary] Round 2919, PADALYVIS, results

The last week of my life has been marked by an extreme up-tick in the
occurrence of Lithuania.

That sounds like something a surrealist would write.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
  View Parent  #3  
Old September 4th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Efrem G Mallach

Can you give us some other (non-Dixonary) examples?

Efrem

> On Sep 4, 2018, at 11:54 AM, Ryan McGill <ryanmmcgill (AT) gmail (DOT) com <mailto:ryanmmcgill (AT) gmail (DOT) com>> wrote:
>
> The last week of my life has been marked by an extreme up-tick in the occurrence of Lithuania.
>
> That sounds like something a surrealist would write.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

--
  View Parent  #4  
Old September 4th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Ryan McGill

Well, I don't often hear about Lithuania. I think I went a good three years
or more not hearing about it at all.

And then in the last week, I've read a couple articles that mentioned
Lithuania, including one in-depth discussion of someone's mother and her
youth and emigration. There was something else about Lithuanian food and
culture, I think on a podcast, though I can't remember which.

And yesterday, I was at a restaurant owned by a Dutch expatriate living in
a very small town on the Oregon coast, and he'd written a memoir allegedly
about World War II that included a discussion about Lithuania and Poland
during the war, but which appeared to have more content regarding his
gripes about running a restaurant.

And now this. It's very odd. Were I superstitious and a bit more
well-to-do, I might buy a plane ticket.

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 10:02:42 AM UTC-7, Efrem wrote:
>
> Can you give us some other (non-Dixonary) examples?
>
> Efrem
>
> On Sep 4, 2018, at 11:54 AM, Ryan McGill <ryanm... (AT) gmail (DOT) com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> The last week of my life has been marked by an extreme up-tick in the
> occurrence of Lithuania.
>
> That sounds like something a surrealist would write.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dixonary+u... (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <javascript:>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
>
>

--