TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The Parlor

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 13th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Efrem G Mallach

Default [Dixonary] Round 2922 - DIRL - Results

Folks,

The deal bounces right back to Debbie Embler with her yard ornament, definition #9. It received five votes, enough to win on that count alone, but she also voted for the correct answer (def. #4).That makes two wins for Debbie in her first five games - or four opportunities, because she couldn't possibly deal the first game she played in. I don't know if that's a record, but it's certainly outstanding. (For what it's worth, my second deal came in the 37th round I played.) Dan Widdis was second with four points.

Full results:

1. [Bot.] the directional rotation of climbing vines. From Hale, K. who voted 9, 13. Voted for by: McGill, R. Score: 1.

2. [computer science] processing time required by a device prior to the execution of a command. From Widdis, D. who voted *4*, 9. Voted for by: Sable, S.; Stevens, G. Score: 4.

3. [of humor] light or brilliant. From Lodge, T. who voted *4*, 13. Voted for by: None. Score: 2.

4. [Scot.] to vibrate or shake. From Dictionary who could not vote, and therefore didn't. Voted for by: Widdis, D.; Lodge, T.; Embler, D. Score: D3.

5. a flounced hem at the bottom of a taffeta skirt, worn by British women in the 18th Century. From Sable, S. who voted 2, 6. Voted for by: Kornelis, H.; Shefler, M. Score: 3, including one DP for my inadvertently disclosing her definition partway through the voting process and thus perhaps depriving her of additional votes.

6. a multi-purpose tool with a hammer head on one end, and jaws for gripping and turning a nut or bolt on the other end. From Kornelis, H. who voted 5, 9. Voted for by: Sable, S.; Madnick, J. Score: 2.

7. a screw device for raising and lowering sluices, esp. at a water mill. From Bourne, T. who voted 9, 10. Voted for by: Madnick, J.; Naylor, S. Score: 2.

8. a small freshwater game fish similar to a trout, found primarily in the Colorado River basin. From McGill, R. who voted 1, 11. Voted for by: Abell, T. Score: 1.

9. a yard ornament; also known as a whirligig. From Embler, D. who voted *4*, 12. Voted for by: Hale, K.; Widdis, D.; Kornelis, H.; Bourne, T.; Stevens, G. Score: 7.

10. an extravagant flourish at the end of a signature. From Shefler, M. who voted 5, 11. Voted for by: Bourne, T.; Abell, T. Score: 2.

11. to make a log spin by walking on it. From Madnick, J. who voted 6, 7. Voted for by: McGill, R.; Shefler, M.; Naylor, S. Score: 3.

12. to place a pattern of indentations on a knob or other control. From Abell, T. who voted 8, 10. Voted for by: Embler, D. Score: 1.

13. to push, nudge, shove; esp. to jerk the hand and arm unlawfully when shooting a marble; to push the hand slyly forward to be nearer the mark. Also (in later use): to shoot a marble from the hand by jerking the bent thumb (with no implication of cheating). From Naylor, S. who voted 7, 11. Voted for by: Hale, K.; Lodge, T. Score: 2.

No definition from Stevens, G. who voted 2, 9. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 0.

When I warned Debbie last night that she seemed to be en route to another deal, she expressed concern that she might lose power or Internet connectivity due to Hurricane Florence hitting the Carolinas. Though she's well inland and thus not in direct danger of flooding, heavy rains in her area might turn the ground to mud so that wind can topple trees onto power and phone lines. We left it that I'd announce her as the next dealer, should things continue as I then expected, and we'd take it from there. If she doesn't post something by tomorrow morning - say, 10 o'clock US EDT, about 12 hours from when these results go out - Dan, could you take over? She knows she'll owe you a deal when you next earn one. (Debbie - even if you don't have a word ready, just letting us know that you're safe and working on it will do.)

Over to someone, whoever it is -

Efrem
Dealer Emeritus

(My late uncle Sidney, when he was a retired university professor, used to say that "emeritus" comes from two Latin roots: "e," meaning "out," and "meritus," meaning "ought to be.")

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.