TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The Parlor

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 21st, 2018, 09:08 AM
Efrem G Mallach

Default [Dixonary] Round 2940 SEIZOREM results

Folks,

First, apologies for two screw-ups on my part which were fortunately (on a scale of possible dealer screw-ups, most of which I've committed at some point) not huge.

The first is leaving out the phrase "[Perhaps a different word]" before Dan Widdis's definition. I was confused about whether this was intended as part of the definition he wanted published in the voting list or a parenthetical note to me. By the time he got me to understand that it was really supposed to appear with his definition (#8 in the list below) the list had gone out and it was too late to change it. One DP for Dan.

The second is that I misspelled the word. It should be SIEZOREM, but I swapped the second and third letters. John Barrs clued me into this error, when he realized that he actually knew the word in its correct spelling but at first didn't recognize it with the error and therefore voted anyhow. I don't think this error affected the votes, though I may be wrong. In any case, one DP to John as well for the correction and his honesty.

The correct definition was #11, "a group of soils found in cool and temperate regions..." Five perceptive players got it, not counting Mr. Barrs whose vote was cancelled (as noted above) by his DQ. Only one player scored higher, Shani Naylor, whose vaguely related definition #7 formed the other half of a popular 7-11 voting pair. Second place among humans and traditional "winnah" honors are shared by (alphabetically) Messrs. Carson, Lodge, Shefler and Widdis with four points each.

Full results:

1. a feint. From Stevens, G. who voted 3, 10. Voted for by: McGill, R. Score: 1.

2. a roadable airplane. From Kornelis, H. who did not vote. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

3. the head eunuch in a harem. From Lodge, T. who voted 6, *11*. Voted for by: Stevens, G.; Embler, D. Score: 4.

4. [Archaic] a wreath or garland. From Carson, C. who voted 7, *11*. Voted for by: Shepherdson, N.; Bourne, T. Score: 4.

5. a fungus of grasses causing coccidiosis in cattle. From Shepherdson, N. who voted 4, 8. Voted for by: Naylor, S. Score: 1.

6. a device for slowly dispersing scent through a room. From Bourne, T. who voted 4, 7. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Embler, D. Score: 2.

7. a type of sediment rich in organic matter deposited in unproductive lakes. From Naylor, S. who voted 5, 9. Voted for by: Carson, C.; Bourne, T.; Widdis, D.; Shefler, M.; Madnick, J.; Abell, T. Score: 6.

8. [Mining] a fissure or mineral vein traversing the strata vertically, or nearly so. From Widdis, D. who voted 7, *11*. Voted for by: Shepherdson, N. Score, including one DP: 4.

9. a hot, dry north-westerly wind that blows across the Persian Gulf in summer and causes sandstorms. From Embler, D. who voted 3, 6. Voted for by: Naylor, S. Score: 1.

10. an extract of the bark of the ginkgo tree, used in Chinese traditional medicine to treat tuberculosis and other lung diseases. From Shefler, M. who voted 7, *11*. Voted for by: Stevens, G.; Madnick, J. Score: 4.

11. a group of soils found in cool to temperate arid regions, brownish gray at the surface with a lighter layer below and based in a carbonate or hardpan layer. From Dictionary which could not vote. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Carson, C.; Widdis, D.; Shefler, M.; Abell, T. Score: D5.

12. an antibiotic used to treat many different bacterial infections, such as acne, urinary tract infections, intestinal infections, eye infections, gonorrhea, chlamydia, periodontitis, and others. From Madnick, J. who voted 7, 10. Voted for by: McGill, R. Score: 1.

No definition from Barrs, J. who was DQ. Voted for by: N/A. Score, including one DP: 1.

No definition from Abell, T. who voted 7, *11*. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 2..

No definition from McGill, R. who voted 1, 12. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 0.

For those who prefer tables the results follow in that form, in descending order of scores.

Over to you, Shani!

Efrem

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.