TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The Parlor

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 25th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Judy Madnick

Default Re: [Dixonary] OT Player information/short "bios"

On a personal level, I'm 73, and my husband and I were married 50 years in June 2016. We have a son, daughter, and three grandchildren. For most of our married life we have lived in Albany, NY. Although we haven't done a tremendous amount of traveling, we particularly enjoyed two trips to Israel; a four-city tour in Eastern Europe; a visit to Hawaii, in addition to other U..S. destinations; and a couple of cruises. For a number of years we owned an RV and enjoyed the RV lifestyle for relatively short trips. When we lived in Jacksonville, we had the pleasure of meeting Dan Widdis and his wife for dinner, with a follow-up dinner in Las Vegas.

I earned my B.S. and M.S. degrees at the University of Albany in mathematics education. I founded A-1 Office Assistance, a home-based business in Albany, New York, in 1991. Initially my services consisted of general word processing and included transcription, academic typing, office overflow, resumes, fliers, brochures, newsletters . . . basically anything that came my way! In addition, I furnished proofreading and "scoping" services for court reporters, editing their rough stenographic notes using specialized software and preparing condensed transcripts and keyword indexes from their ASCII files. However, I found that I particularly enjoyed resume writing and began to specialize in that area, including resumes, cover letters, reference lists, thank you letters, and scannable resumes. I especially valued the one-on-one relationships I established with clients. Prior to establishing A-1 Office Assistance, I served as a middle-school math teacher, a transcriptionist for court reporters, and a human resources secretary.

For several years I wrote a grammar, punctuation, and usage column for the S-O-S Quarterly, a secretarial and office support newsletter with national circulation. Additionally, I published articles relating to the operation of a word-processing business in The INK Spot and The Clipboard and have was interviewed for and quoted in several national publications, including New Choices, The Boston Herald, The Christian Science Monitor, and Entrepreneur's Home office. I was a member of the National Resume Writers' Association (NRWA), Career Masters Institute (CMI), and the Society for the Preservation of English Language and Literature (SPELL).

As for social media, I was a sysop on the "original" Compuserve Working From Home forum. I am currently an administrator for seven Facebook groups related to genealogy, the Milne School (my high school), and my class at the University at Albany.

Membership and volunteer positions have included life member, board member, chair of the Council of Classes, and Class Councilor at the University at Albany Alumni Association; member of Congregation Beth Emeth and its Sisterhood and Social Action Committee; life member and officer of the Daughters of Sarah Nursing Center Auxiliary; life member of Hadassah and former officer of the Colonie Hadassah chapter; past member and officer of Temple Israel and co-chair of its Scholarship Committee; past member and officer of the Albany Lions Club; life member and past officer of American Red Magen David for Israel Rambam Chaper; and member of PETA and MENSA.

My interests during retirement include researching my husband and my family histories, acting as Volunteer Milne School Alumni Coordinator, participating on the resident board and various committees within our retirement community in Jacksonville (where we lived from 2007 to 2013), providing email-secretary duties for the Daughters of Sarah Nursing Center Auxiliary, and playing Mah Jongg. My husband and I returned to Albany in 2013 after enjoying six of our retirement years in Jacksonville, FL, so we could be closer to our children and grandchildren.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.