while I know it's hard to learn new things, I figured it'd be relearned
soon enough, and that the impact of accidental private votes was a far less
severe problem than the impact of public definitions (Dixons) or occasional
public DQs revealing the def.

Of course, the confusion of this last round (and the difficulty with Cory,
of which I am a fellow user) has highlighted that perhaps having things
public by default is a preferred option. Plus, Judy probably has a surplus
of crowns in her closet and would really like to get rid of them, so
perhaps the Dixon behavior isn't that bad after all?

So can we put this to a vote? Where do we want replies sent? Please reply
with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or indicate you're
happy with what the plurality of voters say.

*Option 1: "To the group". *

This was the previous setting that we've had for years, where both "reply"
and "reply all" will be forced to the group email address.

Pro:
We've been playing that way for years and are used to it
Votes are public by default
Easier for others to doublecheck dealer score errors
Email format that Coryphaeus expects
Matches the behavior of "public discussion" mailing lists
Matches original TAPCIS forum behavior where replies were public by default
and users had to take specific action to send private email

Con:
Increases the chance of a Dixon or public DQ
The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of emails on
configuring replies
Different reply-to behavior than normal email

*Option 2: "Users decide where their replies are sent".*

This is the current setting, where "Reply" goes to the author and "Reply
All" goes to both the author and the recipient(s), in this case the group.

Pro:
Behaves like most email and email lists that aren't "public discussion"
lists.
Gives the dealer a choice of configuring replies (The dealer could
(optionally) set the reply to the group to prevent private votes)
Gives recipients a choice of replies (public "NAD" private defs by default)
Reduces the chance of Dixons or public DQs

Con:
Not what we're used to
Increases the chance of private votes and subsequent scoring confusion
Not compatible with Coryphaeus

Your votes?
*Option 3: "It's just a game, the only votes I want to cast are for fake
defs."*

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...mail.gmail.com.
  View Parent  #2  
Old August 5th, 2019, 06:11 PM
France International/Mike Shefler

Default Re: [Dixonary] [OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote

I vote for #1.

On 8/5/2019 6:38 PM, Daniel B. Widdis wrote:

Originally, I changed the email settings as a test, with the idea that I'd gather feedback later.Ā* Of course, then I got distracted and feedback was sparse. Ā* But it seemed most were at least content with the change and while I know it's hard to learn new things, I figured it'd be relearned soon enough, and that the impact of accidental private votes was a far less severe problem than the impact of public definitions (Dixons) or occasional public DQs revealing the def.

Of course, the confusion of this last round (and the difficulty with Cory, of which I am a fellow user) has highlighted that perhaps having things public by default is a preferred option.Ā* Plus, Judy probably has a surplus of crowns in her closet and would really like to get rid of them, so perhaps the Dixon behavior isn't that bad after all?

So can we put this to a vote?Ā* Where do we want replies sent?Ā* Please reply with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or indicate you're happy with what the plurality of voters say.

Option 1: "To the group".Ā*

This was the previous setting that we've had for years, where both "reply" and "reply all" will be forced to the group email address.

Pro:Ā*

Matches original TAPCIS forum behavior where replies were public by default and users had to take specific action to send private email

Con:

The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of emails on configuring replies

Option 2: "Users decide where their replies are sent".

This is the current setting, where "Reply" goes to the author and "Reply All" goes to both the author and the recipient(s), in this case the group.

Pro:

Behaves like most email and email lists that aren't "public discussion" lists.

Gives the dealer a choice of configuring replies (The dealer could (optionally) set the reply to the group to prevent private votes)

Con:

Not what we're used to

Your votes?

Option 1: "To the group".Ā*

Option 3: "It's just a game, the only votes I want to cast are for fake defs."

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...mail.gmail.com.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/0b7e6a36-0302-c3e4-d8e2-e6675de13eef%40salsgiver.com.
  View Parent  #3  
Old August 5th, 2019, 07:50 PM
Judy Madnick

Default RE: [Dixonary] [OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote

To the group...please!

Judy

Original message
From: "Daniel B. Widdis" <widdis (AT) dixonary (DOT) net>
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com;
Dated: 8/5/2019 6:38:04 PM
Subject: [Dixonary] [OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote

Originally, I changed the email settings as a test, with the idea that I'd gather feedback later. Of course, then I got distracted and feedback was sparse. But it seemed most were at least content with the change and while I know it's hard to learn new things, I figured it'd be relearned soon enough, and that the impact of accidental private votes was a far less severe problem than the impact of public definitions (Dixons) or occasional public DQs revealing the def.

Of course, the confusion of this last round (and the difficulty with Cory, of which I am a fellow user) has highlighted that perhaps having things public by default is a preferred option. Plus, Judy probably has a surplus of crowns in her closet and would really like to get rid of them, so perhaps the Dixon behavior isn't that bad after all?

So can we put this to a vote? Where do we want replies sent? Please reply with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or indicate you're happy with what the plurality of voters say.

Option 1: "To the group".

This was the previous setting that we've had for years, where both "reply" and "reply all" will be forced to the group email address.

Pro:

Matches original TAPCIS forum behavior where replies were public by default and users had to take specific action to send private email

Con:
The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of emails on configuring replies

This is the current setting, where "Reply" goes to the author and "Reply All" goes to both the author and the recipient(s), in this case the group.

Pro:
Gives the dealer a choice of configuring replies (The dealer could (optionally) set the reply to the group to prevent private votes)

Con:
Not what we're used to

Your votes?

--

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...APTOP-BV6VBI87.
  View Parent  #4  
Old August 5th, 2019, 08:24 PM
Christopher Carson

Iā€™ll also opt for #1.

Chris

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 5, 2019, at 19:11, France International/Mike Shefler <stamps (AT) salsgiver (DOT) com<mailto:stamps (AT) salsgiver (DOT) com>> wrote:

I vote for #1.

Originally, I changed the email settings as a test, with the idea that I'd gather feedback later. Of course, then I got distracted and feedback was sparse. But it seemed most were at least content with the change and while I know it's hard to learn new things, I figured it'd be relearned soon enough, and that the impact of accidental private votes was a far less severe problem than the impact of public definitions (Dixons) or occasional public DQs revealing the def.

Of course, the confusion of this last round (and the difficulty with Cory, of which I am a fellow user) has highlighted that perhaps having things public by default is a preferred option. Plus, Judy probably has a surplus of crowns in her closet and would really like to get rid of them, so perhaps the Dixon behavior isn't that bad after all?

So can we put this to a vote? Where do we want replies sent? Please reply with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or indicate you're happy with what the plurality of voters say.

Pro:

Con:

Pro:

Con:
Not what we're used to

Your votes?
--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com<mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/CAAbgggrYOzpVgyZeadVHoZWgKa2RCHKrTJD5hT%2B9a7%3DgC kYHHg%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/CAAbgggrYOzpVgyZeadVHoZWgKa2RCHKrTJD5hT%2B9a7%3DgC kYHHg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source =footer>.

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com<mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/0b7e6a36-0302-c3e4-d8e2-e6675de13eef%40salsgiver.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/0b7e6a36-0302-c3e4-d8e2-e6675de13eef%40salsgiver.com?utm_medium=email&utm_ source=footer>.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...od.outlook.com.
  View Parent  #5  
Old August 5th, 2019, 08:27 PM
Daniel B Widdis

Default [Dixonary] [OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote

As a Coryphaeus user Iā€™m voting for #1 too.

Thatā€™s 5 to ā€œgo backā€ and nobody liking the way it currently is.Ā* Is it too early to close the polls?Ā* šŸ˜ƒ

I will try to switch it back before Judy posts her call for votes.

Date: Monday, August 5, 2019 at 3:38 PM
To: Dixonary <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
Subject: [OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote

Pro:

Con:

Pro:

Con:

Not what we're used to

Your votes?

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...40dixonary.net.
  View Parent  #6  
Old August 5th, 2019, 08:33 PM
Shani Naylor

Default Fwd: [Dixonary] [OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote

I'll also vote #1. My understanding is that the problem arose when Efrem's
email address seemed to change. If that's the case, maybe we could change
back and Efrem could put a note in his msg when he deals reminding players
of this.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019, 1:27 PM
Subject: [Dixonary] Re: [OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote
To: Dixonary <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>

As a Coryphaeus user Iā€™m voting for #1 too.

Thatā€™s 5 to ā€œgo backā€ and nobody liking the way it currently is. Is it too
early to close the polls? šŸ˜ƒ

I will try to switch it back before Judy posts her call for votes.

*From: *"Daniel B. Widdis" <widdis (AT) dixonary (DOT) net>
*Date: *Monday, August 5, 2019 at 3:38 PM
*To: *Dixonary <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
*Subject: *[OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote

Originally, I changed the email settings as a test, with the idea that I'd
gather feedback later. Of course, then I got distracted and feedback was
sparse. But it seemed most were at least content with the change and
while I know it's hard to learn new things, I figured it'd be relearned
soon enough, and that the impact of accidental private votes was a far less
severe problem than the impact of public definitions (Dixons) or occasional
public DQs revealing the def.

Of course, the confusion of this last round (and the difficulty with Cory,
of which I am a fellow user) has highlighted that perhaps having things
public by default is a preferred option. Plus, Judy probably has a surplus
of crowns in her closet and would really like to get rid of them, so
perhaps the Dixon behavior isn't that bad after all?

So can we put this to a vote? Where do we want replies sent? Please reply
with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or indicate you're
happy with what the plurality of voters say.

This was the previous setting that we've had for years, where both "reply"
and "reply all" will be forced to the group email address.

Pro:

Matches original TAPCIS forum behavior where replies were public by default
and users had to take specific action to send private email

Con:

The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of emails on
configuring replies

This is the current setting, where "Reply" goes to the author and "Reply
All" goes to both the author and the recipient(s), in this case the group.

Pro:

Behaves like most email and email lists that aren't "public discussion"
lists.

Gives the dealer a choice of configuring replies (The dealer could
(optionally) set the reply to the group to prevent private votes)

Con:

Not what we're used to

Your votes?

*Option 3: "It's just a game, the only votes I want to cast are for fake
defs."*

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...40dixonary.net
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/33A7B17A-F094-4E9F-A95E-0C3AF7EA2812%40dixonary.net?utm_medium=email&utm_s ource=footer>

--
  View Parent  #7  
Old August 5th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Christopher Carson

Iā€™ll also opt for 1.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 5, 2019, at 19:11, France International/Mike Shefler <stamps (AT) salsgiver (DOT) com<mailto:stamps (AT) salsgiver (DOT) com>> wrote:

I vote for #1.

Pro:

Con:

Pro:

Con:
Not what we're used to

Your votes?
--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/CAAbgggrYOzpVgyZeadVHoZWgKa2RCHKrTJD5hT%2B9a7%3DgC kYHHg%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/CAAbgggrYOzpVgyZeadVHoZWgKa2RCHKrTJD5hT%2B9a7%3DgC kYHHg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source =footer>.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/0b7e6a36-0302-c3e4-d8e2-e6675de13eef%40salsgiver.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/0b7e6a36-0302-c3e4-d8e2-e6675de13eef%40salsgiver.com?utm_medium=email&utm_ source=footer>.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...od.outlook.com.
  View Parent  #8  
Old August 5th, 2019, 11:42 PM
Hugo Kornelis

To me, it's just a game (and I'm not very active anway)
I /usually/ remembe to check the To bar before sending a def, or a vote.

No preference from me.
(Well, I do have a slight personal preference but not big enough to make
it into a vote)

Op 6-8-2019 om 00:38 schreef Daniel B. Widdis:
> Originally, I changed the email settings as a test, with the idea that
> I'd gather feedback later.Ā* Of course, then I got distracted and
> feedback was sparse. Ā* But it seemed most were at least content with
> the change and while I know it's hard to learn new things, I figured
> it'd be relearned soon enough, and that the impact of accidental
> private votes was a far less severe problem than the impact of public
> definitions (Dixons) or occasional public DQs revealing the def.
>
> Of course, the confusion of this last round (and the difficulty with
> Cory, of which I am a fellow user) has highlighted that perhaps having
> things public by default is a preferred option.Ā* Plus, Judy probably
> has a surplus of crowns in her closet and would really like to get rid
> of them, so perhaps the Dixon behavior isn't that bad after all?
>
> So can we put this to a vote?Ā* Where do we want replies sent?Ā* Please
> reply with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or
> indicate you're happy with what the plurality of voters say.
>
> *Option 1: "To the group".
> *
>
> This was the previous setting that we've had for years, where both
> "reply" and "reply all" will be forced to the group email address.
>
> Pro:
> We've been playing that way for years and are used to it
> Votes are public by default
> Easier for others to doublecheck dealer score errors
> Email format that Coryphaeus expects
> Matches the behavior of "public discussion" mailing lists
> Matches original TAPCIS forum behavior where replies were public by
> default and users had to take specific action to send private email
>
> Con:
> Increases the chance of a Dixon or public DQ
> The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of
> emails on configuring replies
> Different reply-to behavior than normal email
>
> *Option 2: "Users decide where their replies are sent".*
> *
> *
> This is the current setting, where "Reply" goes to the author and
> "Reply All" goes to both the author and the recipient(s), in this case
> the group.
>
> Pro:
> Behaves like most email and email lists that aren't "public
> discussion" lists.
> Gives the dealer a choice of configuring replies (The dealer could
> (optionally) set the reply to the group to prevent private votes)
> Gives recipients a choice of replies (public "NAD" private defs by
> default)
> Reduces the chance of Dixons or public DQs
>
> Con:
> Not what we're used to
> Increases the chance of private votes and subsequent scoring confusion
> Not compatible with Coryphaeus
>
> Your votes?
> *Option 1: "To the group". *
> *Option 3: "It's just a game, the only votes I want to cast are for
> fake defs."*
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
> <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/CAAbgggrYOzpVgyZeadVHoZWgKa2RCHKrTJD5hT%2B9a7%3DgC kYHHg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source =footer>.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...40perFact.info.
  View Parent  #9  
Old August 5th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Daniel B Widdis

Oh, good, at least one vote for #3! šŸ˜Š

Based on the overwhelming preference to let Google decide how to send our email, Iā€™ll be switching it back to ā€œTo the Groupā€ prior to the def submission deadline tomorrow.

From: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> on behalf of Hugo Kornelis <hugo (AT) perFact (DOT) info>
Date: Monday, August 5, 2019 at 9:43 PM
To: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
Subject: Re: [Dixonary] [OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote

To me, it's just a game (and I'm not very active anway)
I usually remembe to check the To bar before sending a def, or a vote.

No preference from me.
(Well, I do have a slight personal preference but not big enough to make it into a vote)

Op 6-8-2019 om 00:38 schreef Daniel B. Widdis:

Pro:

Con:

Pro:

Con:

Not what we're used to

Your votes?

--

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...40perFact.info.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...40dixonary.net.
  View Parent  #10  
Old August 6th, 2019, 04:34 AM
Johnb - co.uk

I'm happy either way now I know what to look for and I need a crown to
add to my collection - so, I'll abstain

*JohnnyB*
On 05/08/2019 23:38, Daniel B. Widdis wrote:
> Originally, I changed the email settings as a test, with the idea that
> I'd gather feedback later.Ā* Of course, then I got distracted and
> feedback was sparse. Ā* But it seemed most were at least content with
> the change and while I know it's hard to learn new things, I figured
> it'd be relearned soon enough, and that the impact of accidental
> private votes was a far less severe problem than the impact of public
> definitions (Dixons) or occasional public DQs revealing the def.
>
> Of course, the confusion of this last round (and the difficulty with
> Cory, of which I am a fellow user) has highlighted that perhaps having
> things public by default is a preferred option.Ā* Plus, Judy probably
> has a surplus of crowns in her closet and would really like to get rid
> of them, so perhaps the Dixon behavior isn't that bad after all?
>
> So can we put this to a vote?Ā* Where do we want replies sent?Ā* Please
> reply with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or
> indicate you're happy with what the plurality of voters say.
>
> *Option 1: "To the group".
> *
>
> This was the previous setting that we've had for years, where both
> "reply" and "reply all" will be forced to the group email address.
>
> Pro:
>
> Con:
> The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of
> emails on configuring replies
>
> *
> *
> This is the current setting, where "Reply" goes to the author and
> "Reply All" goes to both the author and the recipient(s), in this case
> the group.
>
> Pro:
> Behaves like most email and email lists that aren't "public
> discussion" lists.
> Gives recipients a choice of replies (public "NAD" private defs by
> default)
>
> Con:
> Not what we're used to
>
> Your votes?
> *Option 3: "It's just a game, the only votes I want to cast are for
> fake defs."*
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/CAAbgggrYOzpVgyZeadVHoZWgKa2RCHKrTJD5hT%2B9a7%3DgC kYHHg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source =footer>.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...hn-barrs.co.uk.
  View Parent  #11  
Old August 6th, 2019, 05:52 AM
Tim Lodge

I'm going to abstain too. I read all messages on the group website, send
my fake defs as new messages in my email client, and only use reply on the
website to cast my votes. I suppose that's actually a vote for Option 3!

-- Tim L

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 11:38:16 PM UTC+1, Daniel Widdis wrote:
>
> Originally, I changed the email settings as a test, with the idea that I'd
> gather feedback later. Of course, then I got distracted and feedback was
> sparse. But it seemed most were at least content with the change and
> while I know it's hard to learn new things, I figured it'd be relearned
> soon enough, and that the impact of accidental private votes was a far less
> severe problem than the impact of public definitions (Dixons) or occasional
> public DQs revealing the def.
>
> Of course, the confusion of this last round (and the difficulty with Cory,
> of which I am a fellow user) has highlighted that perhaps having things
> public by default is a preferred option. Plus, Judy probably has a surplus
> of crowns in her closet and would really like to get rid of them, so
> perhaps the Dixon behavior isn't that bad after all?
>
> So can we put this to a vote? Where do we want replies sent? Please
> reply with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or indicate
> you're happy with what the plurality of voters say.
>
>
>
> This was the previous setting that we've had for years, where both "reply"
> and "reply all" will be forced to the group email address.
>
> Pro:
>
> Con:
> The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of emails
> on configuring replies
>
>
> This is the current setting, where "Reply" goes to the author and "Reply
> All" goes to both the author and the recipient(s), in this case the group.
>
> Pro:
> Behaves like most email and email lists that aren't "public discussion"
> lists.
> Gives recipients a choice of replies (public "NAD" private defs by default)
>
> Con:
> Not what we're used to
>
> Your votes?
> *Option 3: "It's just a game, the only votes I want to cast are for fake
> defs."*
>

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...oglegroups.com.
  View Parent  #12  
Old August 6th, 2019, 07:23 AM
Tony Abell

Option 1 for me. Since I think of the mailing list as a forum, not as a list
of private emails or an email thread with several participants, it's natural
that a simple reply goes to the group.

------------------------------------------
On 2019-08-05 at 18:38 Daniel B. Widdis wrote:

> So can we put this to a vote? Where do we want replies sent? Please reply
> with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or indicate you're
> happy with what the plurality of voters say.

> Pro:
> Matches original TAPCIS forum behavior where replies were public by default
> and users had to take specific action to send private email

> Con:
> The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of emails on
> configuring replies

> Pro:
> lists.

> Con:
> Not what we're used to

> Your votes?
> defs."*

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...nybodyhome.com.
  View Parent  #13  
Old August 6th, 2019, 09:19 AM
'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary

I was used to the old way. Now I'm used to the new way. I find it quite logical: I can click "reply" or "reply all" as the situation warrants, without ever needing to delete and replace an address. So, I have a slight preference for keeping the new way (option 2) - but I think I could get used to the old way again. Count me with the "don't cares."

Efrem

> On Aug 5, 2019, at 6:38 PM, Daniel B. Widdis <widdis (AT) dixonary (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> Originally, I changed the email settings as a test, with the idea that I'd gather feedback later. Of course, then I got distracted and feedback was sparse. But it seemed most were at least content with the change and while I know it's hard to learn new things, I figured it'd be relearned soon enough, and that the impact of accidental private votes was a far less severe problem than the impact of public definitions (Dixons) or occasional public DQs revealing the def.
>
> Of course, the confusion of this last round (and the difficulty with Cory, of which I am a fellow user) has highlighted that perhaps having things public by default is a preferred option. Plus, Judy probably has a surplus of crowns in her closet and would really like to get rid of them, so perhaps the Dixon behavior isn't that bad after all?
>
> So can we put this to a vote? Where do we want replies sent? Please reply with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or indicate you're happy with what the plurality of voters say.
>
> Option 1: "To the group".
>
> This was the previous setting that we've had for years, where both "reply" and "reply all" will be forced to the group email address.
>
> Pro:
> Matches original TAPCIS forum behavior where replies were public by default and users had to take specific action to send private email
>
> Con:
> The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of emails on configuring replies
>
> Option 2: "Users decide where their replies are sent".
>
> This is the current setting, where "Reply" goes to the author and "Reply All" goes to both the author and the recipient(s), in this case the group.
>
> Pro:
> Behaves like most email and email lists that aren't "public discussion" lists.
> Gives the dealer a choice of configuring replies (The dealer could (optionally) set the reply to the group to prevent private votes)
>
> Con:
> Not what we're used to
>
> Your votes?
> Option 1: "To the group".
> Option 2: "Users decide where their replies are sent".
> Option 3: "It's just a game, the only votes I want to cast are for fake defs."
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/CAAbgggrYOzpVgyZeadVHoZWgKa2RCHKrTJD5hT%2B9a7%3DgC kYHHg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source =footer>.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...%40verizon.net.
  View Parent  #14  
Old August 6th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Guerri Stevens

I vote for 1.

On 8/5/2019 7:11 PM, France International/Mike Shefler wrote:
> I vote for #1.
>
> On 8/5/2019 6:38 PM, Daniel B. Widdis wrote:
>> Originally, I changed the email settings as a test, with the idea
>> that I'd gather feedback later.Ā* Of course, then I got distracted and
>> feedback was sparse. Ā* But it seemed most were at least content with
>> the change and while I know it's hard to learn new things, I figured
>> it'd be relearned soon enough, and that the impact of accidental
>> private votes was a far less severe problem than the impact of public
>> definitions (Dixons) or occasional public DQs revealing the def.
>>
>> Of course, the confusion of this last round (and the difficulty with
>> Cory, of which I am a fellow user) has highlighted that perhaps
>> having things public by default is a preferred option.Ā* Plus, Judy
>> probably has a surplus of crowns in her closet and would really like
>> to get rid of them, so perhaps the Dixon behavior isn't that bad
>> after all?
>>
>> So can we put this to a vote?Ā* Where do we want replies sent?Ā* Please
>> reply with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or
>> indicate you're happy with what the plurality of voters say.
>>
>> *Option 1: "To the group".
>> *
>>
>> This was the previous setting that we've had for years, where both
>> "reply" and "reply all" will be forced to the group email address.
>>
>> Pro:
>> We've been playing that way for years and are used to it
>> Votes are public by default
>> Easier for others to doublecheck dealer score errors
>> Email format that Coryphaeus expects
>> Matches the behavior of "public discussion" mailing lists
>> Matches original TAPCIS forum behavior where replies were public by
>> default and users had to take specific action to send private email
>>
>> Con:
>> Increases the chance of a Dixon or public DQ
>> The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of
>> emails on configuring replies
>> Different reply-to behavior than normal email
>>
>> *Option 2: "Users decide where their replies are sent".*
>> *
>> *
>> This is the current setting, where "Reply" goes to the author and
>> "Reply All" goes to both the author and the recipient(s), in this
>> case the group.
>>
>> Pro:
>> Behaves like most email and email lists that aren't "public
>> discussion" lists.
>> Gives the dealer a choice of configuring replies (The dealer could
>> (optionally) set the reply to the group to prevent private votes)
>> Gives recipients a choice of replies (public "NAD" private defs by
>> default)
>> Reduces the chance of Dixons or public DQs
>>
>> Con:
>> Not what we're used to
>> Increases the chance of private votes and subsequent scoring confusion
>> Not compatible with Coryphaeus
>>
>> Your votes?
>> *Option 1: "To the group". *
>> *Option 2: "Users decide where their replies are sent".*
>> *Option 3: "It's just a game, the only votes I want to cast are for
>> fake defs."*
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "Dixonary" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>> send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
>> <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/CAAbgggrYOzpVgyZeadVHoZWgKa2RCHKrTJD5hT%2B9a7%3DgC kYHHg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source =footer>.

>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...0salsgiver.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/0b7e6a36-0302-c3e4-d8e2-e6675de13eef%40salsgiver.com?utm_medium=email&utm_ source=footer>.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...rristevens.com.
  View Parent  #15  
Old August 6th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Daniel B. Widdis

Votes for returning to the old way = 9
Votes for the new way = 0
Abstentions/don't care = 4

The settings have been returned to "to the group".

Judy, get your crowns ready.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 3:38 PM Daniel B. Widdis <widdis (AT) dixonary (DOT) net> wrote:

>
>
> So can we put this to a vote? Where do we want replies sent? Please
> reply with one of the below two options, or optionally abstain or indicate
> you're happy with what the plurality of voters say.
>
>
>
>
> Pro:
>
> Con:
> The group takes away choice from both the sender and recipient of emails
> on configuring replies
>
>
>
> Pro:
> lists.
>
> Con:
> Not what we're used to
>
> Your votes?
> defs."*
>

--
  View Parent  #16  
Old August 6th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Judy Madnick

Default RE: [Dixonary] [OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote

I have lots of them ready. LOL! Actually, that will be better than receiving duplicate messages or having a dealer reposting votes, I think.

Judy

Original message
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com;
Dated: 8/6/2019 2:42:37 PM
Subject: [Dixonary] Re: [OT] Group Email Settings -- please vote

Votes for returning to the old way = 9
Votes for the new way = 0

Abstentions/don't care = 4

The settings have been returned to "to the group".

Judy, get your crowns ready.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 3:38 PM Daniel B. Widdis <widdis (AT) dixonary (DOT) net> wrote:

Pro:

Con:

Pro:

Con:
Not what we're used to

Your votes?

--

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...APTOP-BV6VBI87.