TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > Forum Use and Help

Old May 24th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome to the Tapcis Web Forums!

Need help with this forum structure? You can find it right here.

And feel free to ask if there's anything you need to know about the way this forum works that isn't answered in the FAQs.

-- The TapcisForum
  View Parent  #2  
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:36 AM

Default Comments on Forum

I admit I didn't spend time reading the instructions, FAQs, etc. but I have a couple of comments.

In the Use and Help section, I didn't see any way to simply start a new thread, there was only a Quote button.

Donations: how about an address (P.O. box) so people can send checks? I realize this might be a nuisance for you, but some are uncomfortable with credit cards online.

Somewhere there was a place for contacting the forum. When I clicked that item, I was taken into an Account Wizard. It was unclear whether this was a TAPCIS forum thing, or a general wizard or something connected with my ISP. I doubt that it was for my ISP since I have already set up Email there.

I checked the box to allow other members to send me Email. However, there is nothing about the privacy of my Email address. Some places on the Web have options for this such as allowing members to send Email without revealing my Email address and/or allowing the Email address to be seen in public.

Guerri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapcisForum
Need help with this forum structure? You can find it right here.

And feel free to ask if there's anything you need to know about the way this forum works that isn't answered in the FAQs.

-- The TapcisForum
  View Parent  #3  
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Chief Cook & BottleWasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerriStevens
In the Use and Help section, I didn't see any way to simply start a new thread, there was only a Quote button.
You're right. To start a new thread, simply go to the top of a section and you'll see a button for New Thread. (And at the top of any thread you're reading, there are tracks to the section -- e.g. Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > Forum Use and Help -- which are hotlinks to the section or category top plus there's a Forum Jump drop down box at the bottom.)

Quote:
Donations: how about an address (P.O. box) so people can send checks? I realize this might be a nuisance for you, but some are uncomfortable with credit cards online.
Lemme think about this. Truth be told, we're just trying to cover operating expenses (buying the forum software and hosting fees) so this isn't a big moneymaking operation. Want to send me a check? I'll send you my home address...

Quote:
Somewhere there was a place for contacting the forum. When I clicked that item, I was taken into an Account Wizard. It was unclear whether this was a TAPCIS forum thing, or a general wizard or something connected with my ISP. I doubt that it was for my ISP since I have already set up Email there.
If you can find that place again, please let me know so we can fix that.

Quote:
I checked the box to allow other members to send me Email. However, there is nothing about the privacy of my Email address. Some places on the Web have options for this such as allowing members to send Email without revealing my Email address and/or allowing the Email address to be seen in public.
I'll have to check and see if that's available here. But we do have Private Messages to take care of most of that function.

Thanks, Guerri! (I think I know what I'll be doing with much of my long holiday weekend...)
  View Parent  #4  
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell
You're right. To start a new thread, simply go to the top of a section and you'll see a button for New Thread. (And at the top of any thread you're reading, there are tracks to the section -- e.g. Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > Forum Use and Help -- which are hotlinks to the section or category top plus there's a Forum Jump drop down box at the bottom.)

Lemme think about this. Truth be told, we're just trying to cover operating expenses (buying the forum software and hosting fees) so this isn't a big moneymaking operation. Want to send me a check? I'll send you my home address...

If you can find that place again, please let me know so we can fix that.

I'll have to check and see if that's available here. But we do have Private Messages to take care of most of that function.

Thanks, Guerri! (I think I know what I'll be doing with much of my long holiday weekend...)
I guess I want to start a new thread. How do I do this?
In the new thread I want to essentially make a reply to an old thread. Kindly show me how to do this.
  View Parent  #5  
Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:42 PM

------ I guess I want to start a new thread. How do I do this?

Gil,

Is your question about how to start a new thread? or about how to quote another message in a new thread?

There is a "new thread" button. It above the blue bar. Above the blue bar that runs across the top of the list of threads in a forum. On this web site what we used to call sections are now called forums or sub-forums or child-forums, etc.

It took me a while to find the new thread button too. Maybe there's a way to start a new thread right while one is reading messages within a thread, *without* hitting the "back" icon on the browser, but I dont' know it.

I "grew up" with plain text and am not used to the whiz bang stuff. So I just use plain old copy and paste for quote backs, etc.

David H.