TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > Forum Use and Help

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Chief Cook & BottleWasher

Default Some questions (and answers)

Here's some info posted in reply to a private message that I thought might help (plus perhaps others have better ideas, too!):

1) How the heck do I edit my name that displays? I see some people have their real name, others UserID type names (like mine). I've been through the User CP and can't find the secret, if there is one.

At the moment, you need to ask an administrator to do that. I'm still trying to find the way to let members edit their own names.

2) What is the best way to navigate back to the forum thread list after reading through a thread. I've been using IE's <back> arrow but it seems like there should be an easier way.

There are several ways. You can click on the track information at the top to go back to the forum thread list (look right under the logo at the top and you'll see hotlinks to the thread, section, etc.). You can use the Forum Jump box on the bottom. And while reading messages you may see a Previous Thread - Next Thread pair of hotlinks just above the quick reply box. (You may need to change your display mode to hybrid or threaded for that.)

3) (I know, I said a couple, but I lied) Do read messages ever get marked? I seem to read each thread from the beginning each time I visit.

Yes. Look at a thread tree (hybrid view or threaded view) and you'll see that messages that aren't new have a blue icon in front while ones that are new are yellow (no matter what I said the first time!). You can also go to new messages/threads by clicking on the New Posts link each time you visit and you can return to that as often as you'd like during each log-in.

Am I missing a "how to file somewhere that would explain some of the intricacies of how the forum works in general? Oops ... that was 4.

There's a FAQ that's pretty basic (link at the top). As time goes by we hope to make it better.

Last edited by Judy G. Russell; May 31st, 2005 at 03:06 PM.