TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The Parlor

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  View Parent  #12  
Old February 24th, 2020, 07:33 PM
Daniel B Widdis

Default Re: [Dixonary] Round 3053 new word BROLGA

RE: “I trust Tim to sort them out.”

We can always make his job harder by continuing this discussion without a subject rename!

For the record, my thoughts:
Nothing in the rules prevents using proper names, although just about any non-famous name is automatically obscure and not very fun to play a round guessing, whilst a famous name would generate a lot of DQs
For eponymous words, we see them quite a bit and it’s nearly universally understood that the woid is the thing named after the person, and not the person him/her-self.* Allowing proper names would mean these words would have multiple meanings, which brings us to:
The “rules” don’t address it but the “real rules” advise against dealing words with multiple meanings. I have seen some woids dealt with the more well known definition explicitly disavowed.
So in light of the above, it’d probably be fair to deal “Eisenhower” with the caveat (not the President by that name).* But it would not be sporting (jacket pun) to simply deal “Eisenhower” and if someone guessed the jacket def, say “WRONG! It’s the president!”

Also of note… almost always, dealers note that “capitalization does not matter”.* For proper names, capitalization likely would matter…

From: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com> on behalf of Efrem G Mallach <efrem.mallach (AT) gmail (DOT) com>
Reply-To: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
Date: Monday, February 24, 2020 at 9:39 AM
To: <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>
Subject: Re: [Dixonary] Round 3053 new word BROLGA

My suggestion that BROLGA was the name of a minor Italian opera composer was a NAD, not intended to disparage the validity of the word or to lead to its being withdrawn. Nothing I've seen so far suggests that it has been.

The general discussion of whether proper nouns, such as the name of a minor Italian opera composer (which BROLGA almost certainly is not, since my brother knows them pretty well and would have said so), are allowable as words is separate from the current deal even though posts in that discussion are under its heading. I trust Tim to sort them out.

Efrem

On Feb 24, 2020, at 10:42 AM, Stephen Dixon <stevedixon46 (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

We seem to be caught in something of a imbroglio over Brolga.

Are we playing this one, or not?

For my part, I recall a couple of deals that included a name as part of a phrase.

Most notably, Mother-Carey’s-chickens’ in honor of Theresa Carey, one of the game’s originators.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:34 AM Johnb - co.uk <johnb (AT) john-barrs (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

guyot is among other things the name of a vine pruning system invented by guess who - the issue with playing that word is the source which is almost bound to be limited to a gardening book... when I first joined the game we discussed this and decided that the dictionary of fruit culture was |NOT| a valid dictionary - now if I had played it and said 'a kind sea mount' (as OED) also derived from the name of another Guyot then that of course is OK

- I sort of agree with you in the sense that the word should be an x named after 'X' rather than a plain 'X' but I don't see any sensible way of talking about it cardigan, raglan, mackintosh, hoover, bic, biro etc must be playable words

JohnnyB

On 24/02/2020 15:20, Efrem G Mallach wrote:

I wouldn't consider a name (a proper noun) to be a "word" in the sense of this game, though I agree that the rules don't explicitly prohibit them.

Would "Eisenhower" be allowed as a jacket style, even though it might not be as the name of a U.S. general and president? Maybe it would. Discussion?

Efrem

On Feb 24, 2020, at 10:13 AM, Johnb - co.uk <johnb (AT) john-barrs (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

So where does it say that proper nouns are not allowed?

JohnnyB

On 24/02/2020 13:14, Efrem G Mallach wrote:
As I just wrote to one of my brothers, whom I'm trying to get interested in joining us: "If proper nouns were allowed, I'd say it's the name of a minor Italian opera composer (1814-1879). But they're not."

Efrem

========================

On Feb 24, 2020, at 5:12 AM, Tim B <dixonary (AT) siam (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

The word for this round is

** ** BROLGA* *

As usual, no indication of capitalisation or otherwise is implied.

New players are welcome. Don't look in a dictionary. If you know the word, let me know soon, by email (if too many people know it, we'll pick another word).

Think up a creative, intriguing, funny or genuine looking definition that will
entice your fellow players to vote for it.
Send it BY EMAIL (not as a public forum message) to me, before the deadline,
which is 2100 UTC on Tuesday 25th February.
That is probably 4 pm In New York and 1 pm on the West Coast.
My computer tells me it's 10 am on Wednesday 26th in New Zealand - but who believes computers?

Full rules, if you're curious, are at www.dixonary.net.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...4%40siam.co.uk.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...hn-barrs.co.uk.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...A4%40gmail.com.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...hn-barrs.co.uk.

--

Stephen Dixon
email: stevedixon46 (AT) gmail (DOT) com

“Wherever you are is the entry point” - Kabir Das

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...mail.gmail.com.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...78%40gmail.com.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...40dixonary.net.