TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Open Forums > The TapRoom

Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Chief Cook & BottleWasher

Default Alaska March 20 aurora slideshow

Can't figure out a way to embed it here, but there's a halfway decent slideshow of the shots of the March 20 aurora borealis to be found here.
  View Parent  #2  
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Judy, Very nice!

What are the bright lights on the ground, the white ones and especially the orange ones?
  View Parent  #3  
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Creasey View Post
What are the bright lights on the ground, the white ones and especially the orange ones?
I'm guessing moonlight and moonshadows?
  View Parent  #4  
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Creasey View Post
The very small bright white lights are cameras! The larger bright white lights are usually vehicle headlights and the orange ones are from the outdoor lighting where we were staying -- all CFL stuff -- shining on the snow.
  View Parent  #5  
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Saint Louis View Post
I'm guessing moonlight and moonshadows?
No moonlight, just ambient outdoor lights.
  View Parent  #6  
Old March 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Remember Ed Abbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell View Post
Can't figure out a way to embed it here, but there's a halfway decent slideshow of the shots of the March 20 aurora borealis to be found here.
Oooo, that's good, very good. Which for some reason led me to wonder why NASA has never published pictures of it from above. You have to be below the atmosphere to see it, maybe?

- Jeff
  View Parent  #7  
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Oooo, that's good, very good.
Thanks, Jeff!

Quote:
Which for some reason led me to wonder why NASA has never published pictures of it from above. You have to be below the atmosphere to see it, maybe?
The aurora can be seen from space -- see this image. What was cool when we watched this March 20 aurora was that the University of Alaska at Fairbanks fired a rocket into it to conduct tests and we were able to see that as well! See this press release.
  View Parent  #8  
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:04 AM
biocryptologist

Quote:
Oooo, that's good, very good. Which for some reason led me to wonder why NASA has never published pictures of it from above. You have to be below the atmosphere to see it, maybe?

Quote:
The IMAGE satellite captured this view of the aurora australis (southern lights) on September 11, 2005, four days after a record-setting solar flare sent plasma—an ionized gas of protons and electrons—flying towards the Earth. The ring of light that the solar storm generated over Antarctica glows green in the ultraviolet part of the spectrum, shown in this image. The IMAGE observations of the aurora are overlaid onto NASA’s satellite-based Blue Marble image. From the Earth’s surface, the ring would appear as a curtain of light shimmering across the night sky.
  View Parent  #9  
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I'm here for the beer

Quote:
Great pictures -- and I enjoyed the music as well. Watching it even made me feel cold!

I had to use IE to watch the slideshow, though -- my old Mozilla won't handle it, the only PC I've got Firefox on is the one at work, and the firewall at work was evidently blocking something that kept the slideshow from playing.
  View Parent  #10  
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Wooooo... Sidney that is way cool, and a whole lot better than the shot I found!
  View Parent  #11  
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
Great pictures -- and I enjoyed the music as well. Watching it even made me feel cold!
Thanks!

Quote:
I had to use IE to watch the slideshow, though -- my old Mozilla won't handle it, the only PC I've got Firefox on is the one at work, and the firewall at work was evidently blocking something that kept the slideshow from playing.
It's a WMV file converted to flash by Smugmug, so it could be any number of things blocking it.
  View Parent  #12  
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Remember Ed Abbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Senior moment strikes again. APOD is a daily visit for me, and I did find Judy's picture: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap051105.html which I'd forgotten about. But they don't seem to have your IMAGE picture in the archive, which is passing strange as it's so good.

- Jeff
  View Parent  #13  
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:58 PM
biocryptologist

Quote:
APOD is a daily visit for me, and I did find Judy's picture: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap051105.html which I'd forgotten about. But they don't seem to have your IMAGE picture in the archive, which is passing strange as it's so good.
That's from their Earth observatory Image Of The Day website (I put the hot link on the picture) which is about Earth images, as opposed to the Astronomy Photo Of the Day. I guess there is overlap between the two topics when it is an image of the Earth from space, but mostly they have different content.
  View Parent  #14  
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I'm here for the beer

Quote:
It's a WMV file converted to flash by Smugmug, so it could be any number of things blocking it.
And where our corporate firewall is concerned, it's really hard to tell. It even blocked the display of the pictures in the other thread -- possibly because they were on what Websense deems a "personal web site." Salon.com had a technology column that I think they no longer feature (I can't remember the name, only that the guy who wrote it had an Eastern name) whose URL for whatever reason was not at www.salon.com, but <something else>.salon.com, and Websense blocked it as a "personal web site." Very frustrating, and also frustrating when I'm looking for information about some technical subject and what looks like just what I'm looking for ends up being blocked by Websense.

Anyway, on my laptop, at least, I can see them.
  View Parent  #15  
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
And where our corporate firewall is concerned, it's really hard to tell. It even blocked the display of the pictures in the other thread -- possibly because they were on what Websense deems a "personal web site."
Yeah, it's a Smugmug site with a subdomain link (photos.jgrussell.com) so Websense might have had a problem.
  View Parent  #16  
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I'm here for the beer

Quote:
Yeah, it's a Smugmug site with a subdomain link (photos.jgrussell.com) so Websense might have had a problem.
Websense drives me absolutely bonkers, but I have to admit that it, or something like it, is an unfortunate necessity on a corporate network.
  View Parent  #17  
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Websense drives me absolutely bonkers, but I have to admit that it, or something like it, is an unfortunate necessity on a corporate network.
Too true, and I'm not sure how you could make it both effective and less intrusive.
  View Parent  #18  
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Remember Ed Abbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
That's from their Earth observatory Image Of The Day website (I put the hot link on the picture) which is about Earth images, as opposed to the Astronomy Photo Of the Day. I guess there is overlap between the two topics when it is an image of the Earth from space, but mostly they have different content.
Well now, that you did and it hid. I just didn't mouse over the picture. Ah, how did you embed a hotlink like that?

- Jeff
  View Parent  #19  
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Ah, how did you embed a hotlink like that?
First insert the link (http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...mg_2005254.jpg) using the Insert Link function, so that you will have the link inside the URL code then just insert the img code:

Code:
[img][/img]
around the text of the link.
  View Parent  #20  
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Mike King (Troublemaker)

Quote:
Thee three employers I've had since the Internet became popular did not use any sort of blocking software on the corporate networks, although all made it clear that they could if they wanted.

Employees who didn't get their jobs done were disciplined. If an employee spent a lot of time on the 'net but still got his/her job done, then the company didn't care.