TapcisForum  

Go Back   Tapcis Web Forums > Tapcis and OzWin Support > Tapcis Support

View Parent  #41  
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Chief Cook & BottleWasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57g
is there any listing or voting feature on the forum for things like this?
Sure -- make sure you're in advanced mode and choose the polling feature. Go right ahead. The best place would probably be the TapRoom, but a lot of the people most likely to be using Tapcis mail are in the Parlor playing Dixonary.
  View Parent  #42  
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:14 AM

>> Sure -- make sure you're in advanced mode

me? i am always in advanced mode.

>> and choose the polling feature

WHERE would that be? pls hold my hand.

>> The best place would probably be the TapRoom

not sure, as you say, only limited visitors. another suggestion, more up front and visible for everybody coming in?

>> in the Parlor playing Dixonary

well, that, in my most humble opinion, is not email in the email sense (i am already hiding). or at least, they
should get a seperate count in this poll.

greetings - heinz -
  View Parent  #43  
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Remember Ed Abbey

Quote:
hey, above brought up an interesting question: how many of us still use TAPCIS for mail actually? how many on a daily basis, how many mails/day, how many just occasionally?

greetings - heinz -
I'm still using it for email on a daily basis, Heinz. I might as well as I'm keeping my CIS membership as a dialup backup to my broadband cable ISP. And I'm glad I did as the ISP part of the cable goes down with some regularity, even though the tv side of the cable does not.

- Jeff
  View Parent  #44  
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM

same here, jeff, regularily, both offc and private. and still happy with it, wouldnt there be the cuts in access abroad, where, still, dial-up is often the only quick-and-dirty option.

by the time others find a provider, buy a scratch card and set up their WLAN, i have long downloaded my mail, answered it, and am off to the next country.

the two of us are not alone, are we?

greetings - heinz -
  View Parent  #45  
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey
Well, there are a number of ways to do that, depending on just how you have TAPCIS set up, and what the current status of your MAIL.MSG file is, but one way should always work is to start TAPCIS, press <R> to <R>ead files, and then choose MAIL.MSG from the pick list that pops up.

--Lindsey
Alas I have closed my Tapcis account
  View Parent  #46  
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob(mc)
Alas I have closed my Tapcis account
You don't have to have a Compuserve account to be able to read the mail.msg files that are on your hard drive, Bob. Just locate the file (use the Find feature in Windows Explorer, for example) and then use a copy of Tapcis to open it.
  View Parent  #47  
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
>> and choose the polling feature

WHERE would that be? pls hold my hand.
See the attached GIF. (This is for NEW posts only, not replies.)

Quote:
>> The best place would probably be the TapRoom

not sure, as you say, only limited visitors. another suggestion, more up front and visible for everybody coming in?
There are three times as many threads and many times as many messages in the TapRoom as anywhere else (except the Parlor, which doesn't count because of the problems with threading from the Yahoo email link).
Attached Images
File Type: gif poll.gif (28.1 KB, 5 views)
  View Parent  #48  
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM

I am having some problems running Tapcis6 under Windows 2000: 1) My editor program, (WP5.1 DOS), locks up when I try to open it to Write, Reply; and 2) I am getting some video screen defects on the Tapcis main screen when I return from checking/sending mail or when I exit to another DOS program, (that is on a batch to run when closing Tapcis).

Is there a reliable e-mail reader out there that has the nice organizational characteristics of Tapcis?
  View Parent  #49  
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I'm here for the beer

I'm not sure what to suggest to you; it's been a long time since I have used TAPCIS, because I'm no longer using CompuServe mail. But you do know that you don't have to use a DOS editor program, don't you? You an use any Windows program that can be run from a command line and can save a file in DOS-format ASCII text. I have used TextPad with TAPCIS; another you could consider is UltraEdit. Or if you prefer to stick with WP, you could try a Windows version of WP, which may be more compatible with Windows 2000.

I don't have a clear idea what you are doing regarding (2), so I'll have to defer to someone else who might better understand what you are seeing.

As far as suggestions for other programs: I use Outlook at the office, and I have to say that mostly I find it a pretty decent program. The chief drawback is that I'm not sure you can save e-mails in a format that would be readable by other software. But it does have a decent search facility, and you can save messages into whatever folders you choose to define. (This is Outlook, now, not Outlook Express, which is a different program, and one with which I am not familiar.)

I know that a lot of other people around here like Thunderbird and Eudora.

Of course, another alternative is to set up a gmail account, which gives you almost unlimited capacity, "threads" your e-mail messages, lets you "tag" e-mail threads with any number of tags you want to assign to it, and allows for both searches on your mail and filters on the tag settings.

--Lindsey
  View Parent  #50  
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks for your response, Lindsey. There is a program out there called "tame" which is very helpful for running DOS programs under later versions of Windows. I loaded Tame and it solved my weird video problems. But it remains to be seen whether I can stay with Compuserve with all the HTML mail that it can not decipher. Thanks for the recommendation for Outlook. I did not realize it had more organizational features than Outlook Express.
  View Parent  #51  
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I'm here for the beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR PORTNOY View Post
There is a program out there called "tame" which is very helpful for running DOS programs under later versions of Windows.
Oooh, that sounds interesting! Do you have a URL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR PORTNOY
Thanks for the recommendation for Outlook. I did not realize it had more organizational features than Outlook Express.
I've never used Outlook Express, so I don't really know how the two compare, but for a Microsoft product, I have been reasonably pleased with Outlook, which at the office runs off of an Exchange server. (I don't know if it runs in other environments or not. I'm not sure why Microsoft insists on confusing the issue by giving different products nearly identical names.)

--Lindsey
  View Parent  #52  
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM

It,http://www.tamedos.com/downloads/downloads.htm, has helped me switch to Wordperfect5.1 from Tapcis6, but I'm trying to transfer over to viewing my CIS account through Outlook. I dare not get rid of the Compuserve account as I wonder how people deal with lost contacts in the process!
  View Parent  #53  
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I dare not get rid of the Compuserve account as I wonder how people deal with lost contacts in the process!
What I did was gather up every email address of everyone who had sent me an email in the year before and sent them an email as to the new email address. I then kept the Cserve address open for 6-8 weeks in case something new trickled in. Then I figured if the person hadn't written, and hadn't switched my address in their email, well, I might not want to hear from that person that much anyway!
  View Parent  #54  
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm here for the beer

Quote:
It,http://www.tamedos.com/downloads/downloads.htm, has helped me switch to Wordperfect5.1 from Tapcis6, but I'm trying to transfer over to viewing my CIS account through Outlook.
Thanks for the URL! If you need any help accessing your CompuServe account with Outlook, check out the Classic Compuserve Support forum. There's a file over there with information about setting up POP3 accounts with any number of other clients.

But as Judy said, the best way to deal with switching to a new e-mail address is to e-mail your recent contacts over the last year, keep the box open long enough to mail changes of address to anybody you might have missed, and then just bite the bullet and make the switch. If you've notified everyone you have had contact with in the last year, then you've done as good a job of covering all the bases as you would have if you were changing a physical mailing address.

--Lindsey
  View Parent  #55  
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM

I don't know whether my experience will be at all helpful to "Dr. Portnoy", but I've got Win 98SE, and I still use TAPCIS. (I also use WP5.1/DOS, but that's a separate thing.) My computer guru set up the system for me. There's this MS-DOS icon on my desktop. Double-clicking that gets me a Win command prompt; I cd to TAPCIS, call up TAP6, and I'm up and running. (From the same Win prompt, I can go to WP5.1, or to any other DOS-based program I've got.) I read, write, and edit in the TAP screen (I don't handle e-mail with WP or any other outside editor).

I don't get a mess of binary attachments because I've got TAP set to bring me only headers on such; most are spam, and they get routinely deleted. If I've been alerted that someone's sending a photo or some other document in a non-plaintext format--i.e., something TAP can't see/read--I have TAP fetch it and can then leave TAP and open the attachment with whatever software's appropriate.

Whether all this would apply with your Win version, I don't know.

--DS
  View Parent  #56  
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Default Problem Loging On via CIS network

Yes, I'm still using TapCis and Recon to retrieve and manage my eMail.

Thru 15:56:51 pm Fri 09 May'08 (CDT) everything worked fine per ""the good 'ole days"" (connect speeds mostly between 45 and 49 Kbaud)

This morning 05:39:28 am Sat 10 May'08 (CDT) the first thing to come up on the screen was a line
"" UQKT2 an7.dfw28.du.uu.net "" {{some time 'an7' is/was 'an8'}} followed a couple of lines down with "" Login: ""

TapCis "hit" the modem/system about 5-6 time with "CR" and then times out with the message "" Timeout waiting for "Name:" ""

I've tried both local numbers (817 685 2737 and 817 416 8400) with same results half a dozen or so times between 05:39 and 07:06 (CDT)

!!HELP!! (smile)

I assume/hope that I only need to make some script change somewhere. ANY wisdom, guesses??

THANKS!!!

Jerry W Thompson
JerryWThompson@CompuServe.Com
Ft Worth, Texas 76109
  View Parent  #57  
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryWThompson View Post
I assume/hope that I only need to make some script change somewhere. ANY wisdom, guesses??
Reaching FAR back into the recesses of memory, I recall that type of error message being a misconfigured node, and not being something you can address by a change in Tapcis. Your best bet is to try a different node (probably a non-local number) that may not be affected. You may also want to report the problem on the Compuserve Classic Help forum, though I'm not at all sure the folks running that forum have the contacts to pass the report on to any more.

In addition, if you haven't done so before, it is time to configure your Compuserve account so you can retrieve mail by pop3 in addition to dial-up. That way at least you can read your messages via a service such as Mail2Web even if your local nodes are out. I'm sure you can get directions for that on the Compuserve Classic Help forum.
  View Parent  #58  
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Remember Ed Abbey

What judy said, and reaching just as far back into what's left of my memory, the giveaway is the end of this; the "uu.net" part. UQKT2 an7.dfw28.du.uu.net
That indicates a misconfigured node. Neither you, Tap, nor anyone here can do anything about it. You can complain to CIS customer disservice in Bombay, but good luck with that.

- Jeff
  View Parent  #59  
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM

What was happening earlier today wasn't the fault of TAPCIS (or any other access software), and it wasn't any single node; it was happening, for example, on all THREE New York City nodes. (I couldn't get online at all, either via TAPCIS or with my Firefox, which uses the same dial-up nodes.) The problem was with the CIS server--confirmed by a call to them. (FYI, the two toll-free tech numbers are 800-848-8990 and 800-944-9871.) They promised it would be fixed within "two or three hours." It was.

--DS
  View Parent  #60  
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Default Back Up in FtWorth

Indeed, by or before 15:04:11 pm (CDT Sat 10 May'08) the node was back up!!!

I am able to read my eMail via CompuSeve 4.0.2 ((grin) which identifies itself to my operating system (Windows XP SP2) as CS3.Exe) but I have yet to discovered the 'magic formula' to convert them (eMails) to Recon 2.50a format where I have between 10 and 15-20 years worth of stored/archived/packrated messages from various list servers and people. {{(smile) please don't tell my wife}}.

I've filed the tech phone numbers for future reference. Thanks!

Thanks for the assistance!!!

JerryWThompson
JerryWThompson@CompuServe.Com
FtWorth, Texas 76109-5337