View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I'm here for the beer

I'm not sure what to suggest to you; it's been a long time since I have used TAPCIS, because I'm no longer using CompuServe mail. But you do know that you don't have to use a DOS editor program, don't you? You an use any Windows program that can be run from a command line and can save a file in DOS-format ASCII text. I have used TextPad with TAPCIS; another you could consider is UltraEdit. Or if you prefer to stick with WP, you could try a Windows version of WP, which may be more compatible with Windows 2000.

I don't have a clear idea what you are doing regarding (2), so I'll have to defer to someone else who might better understand what you are seeing.

As far as suggestions for other programs: I use Outlook at the office, and I have to say that mostly I find it a pretty decent program. The chief drawback is that I'm not sure you can save e-mails in a format that would be readable by other software. But it does have a decent search facility, and you can save messages into whatever folders you choose to define. (This is Outlook, now, not Outlook Express, which is a different program, and one with which I am not familiar.)

I know that a lot of other people around here like Thunderbird and Eudora.

Of course, another alternative is to set up a gmail account, which gives you almost unlimited capacity, "threads" your e-mail messages, lets you "tag" e-mail threads with any number of tags you want to assign to it, and allows for both searches on your mail and filters on the tag settings.

--Lindsey