View Single Post
  View Parent  #9  
Old November 30th, 2021, 08:32 PM
Efrem G Mallach

Default Re: [Dixonary] Round 3212: INDAGATE [Call for votes]

Paul,

I can't argue with that, nor would I want to, but two thoughts:

(1) "Tedesco" is used in English in the context of Italian art that reflects, in some way, German influence or German style. I would accept it for that reason.

(2) I wasn't saying one can't offer such defs as fakes. I was just using this one's nature as a reason to consider it to be a fake. AFAIK, the Catalan name of Mt. Etna, if it has one, isn't used in English, so it should not (IMHO) qualify as dealable even though anything goes with fakes.

FWIW, I also disparaged the real meaning - as I thought I would - but for a different reason!

Efrem

========================

> On Nov 30, 2021, at 6:11 PM, Paul Keating <dixonary (AT) boargules (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> This remark of Efrem’s may have been a purely rhetorical question:
> 1. [Catalan] Mount Etna. If we allow non-English proper nouns that name natural features, then anything goes. How about the Nepali name for Mount Everest, or the Aboriginal name for Botany Bay? (They’re Sagarmatha and Kamay, if anyone cares.) Could someone deal either of those, or anything else along those lines?
> but, literal-minded programmer that I am, I will respond anyway.
>
> There was a nearly parallel case in round 974, dealt by Toni Savage. The Word was tedesco and the dictionary definition, from Chambers, was
> German [It.]
>
> The OED (from 1911) is a little more expansive:
> The Italian word for German; esp. used to express Teutonic influence as shown in some spheres of Italian art.
>
> As a sidelight on this: Italian-speaking Swiss use Svizzera tedesca to refer to German-speaking Switzerland.
> The parallel is not exact, being an ethnonym rather than a toponym, but I think it is close. So, such a word has been played, and by a dealer whom the players subsequently elected to the post of Rules Momma.
> There isn’t really a question whether a borrowed ethnonym or toponym is a suitable choice. We accept any word that comes from a respectable source. And anyway, this remark isn’t about the dictionary definition, but about a fake. There is no rule that requires fake definitions to have to have a respectable provenance; the point of the game is that they don’t. The “Real” Rules remark that it is acceptable play to offer as a definition evident nonsense whose appeal to voters may lie solely in its comic effect (186).
>
> --
> Paul Keating
> Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...0boargules.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/1d2cf871-4f17-c069-b391-45d668a744e8%40boargules.com?utm_medium=email&utm_ source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...5E%40gmail.com.