View Single Post
  View Parent  #9  
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Well, I grant you that this IBM notebook dates from May of '05, but it came with an RJ11 jack and the machine recognized a DOS call to COM 3 immediately. Tap was and still is calling the local CIS node with no trouble. As to DSL I've never met it in person, but my brother has it, and is using the same phones he had before he got it.

IAE, the real issue here is Vista. About everything can be worked around, except that abomination if it's installed.

- Jeff
I suspect you are right about widespread software driver support to emulate legacy MS-DOS hardware serial COM I/O (e.g. for modeming). The mfg. of the modem hardware chipset used in the PC/laptop probably often supplies the extra MS-DOS hardware serial COM I/O driver software automatically along with the main Windows compatible modem driver software. I only mentioned that because of Murphy's Law

There was no physical change in my telephone landline when I got DSL AFAIK. I just went to the ISP web site and plugged in my phone number and the web site responded that my phone number was already DSL capable.

I did have to use a shorter wire between the DSL modem and the telephone wall socket than I used to have between my old telephone/fax modem and the wall socket, though.

And as you say, from all I've heard, I'd be very leery of installing Vista unless I was 100% of compatibility with all programs I intend to use