View Single Post
  View Parent  #4  
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
Remember Ed Abbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKnepper View Post
I've been happily using TapCis for my email for many years. Runs in a DOS partition tho I switch to Windows for web browsing and some other programs.

In the next few months I expect to move to a new computer. I still want to run two or more old DOS programs so I will either have a DOS partition or some way to run DOS under ? Vista. I also expect to get DSL.

How practical will it be to continue to use TapCis in some form?

Thanks for any comments.

Bob - from Anaheim, Calif.
Avoid Vista at all costs. I'm told that MS will discontinue XP next month, or at least by August, so demand that and get that computer now. Specifically XP PRO with SP3. I have that and T6 runs just fine as a shortcut in XP (no DOS partition, although a directory to hold T6 is needed) and any decent new computer should have a modem that uses a com port that DOS recognizes. T6 is using COM 3 on this IBM notebook. DSL is just a fancy phone line; it is not cable or satellite, so a modem should work. Ask the phone company. In any event, and at all costs, avoid Vista.

- Jeff

ps - I just looked at XP's desktop and I have shortcuts to 6 DOS pgms, including WP's Calendar pgm from 1988. Everything works, of course. I've never had a DOS partition, just individual directories for each DOS pgm.