View Single Post
  View Parent  #3  
Old July 14th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Daniel Widdis

Default Re: [Dixonary] Correct US English spelling for gauge

I have only ever used "gauge" as the verb when estimating something in my head. I also use this as the noun in the physical measurement sense, e.g., a pressure gauge which tells me how many PSI are in my tires (tyres for brits.)

I have used "gage" in a statistical sense, specifically the "Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility Test" which is part of quality control methods, regarding the accuracy of measurements, as that seems to be the standard; however, sometimes it is referred to as "gauge R&R".

MW defines it as "gauge" (less commonly gage) which seems to match up with my experience.

On 7/14/19, 3:41 PM, "Hugo Kornelis" <dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com on behalf of hugo (AT) perFact (DOT) info> wrote:

Hi all!

Just ran into something that confuses me.

I ran a text through a spell checker that was set to US English. It
marked "gauge" (used as a verb) as incorrect spelling, and offered
"gage" as replacement. I had already noticed that this spellchecker has
a rather incomplete dictionary so I wanted to double check. And that's
where it gets confusing.

Some sites I found insist that "gauge" is correct spelling, in both
British and American, for to measure or estimate the size of something.
And that "gage", again in both British and American, means something
completely different: a valuable deposited as guarantee.
But other sites do agree with the interpretation that "gage" is the
Ammerican spelling of "gauge" in the measurement / estimation meaning.

I final test, with another spellchecker (the one in MS Word), does
accept gauge as correct spelling in US English.

As always when I run into a question on correctness in English
vocabulary, grammar, and spelling, I turn to this small group of
language addicts. Can anyone here shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Hugo

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...40perFact.info.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/di...40dixonary.net.