Tapcis Web Forums

Tapcis Web Forums (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Parlor (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   [Dixonary] Round 2785 word: FEERIN (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13605)

Efrem Mallach March 6th, 2017 06:19 AM

[Dixonary] Round 2785 word: FEERIN

I didn't expect "dragoman" to stand, so I tossed off a definition without much thought. Just goes to show, I suppose. It's not the only throw-away definition that has won.

Anyhow, the word for Round 2785 (barring too many disqualifications) is

************* FEERIN **************

where the capitalization doesn’t indicate anything. If you know what it means, please tell me by private e-mail. If too many people know it I’ll deal another word.

The timing on this round will be a bit short because I'm in Jordan. I'm in Amman at the moment, with easy Internet access, and want to get this round in before we leave for the hinterlands and things become a bit chancier that way.

Please concoct a fake definition of FEERIN and send it to emallach(at)verizon(dot)net in the next 32 or so hours; that is, by 10 pm Jordan time on Tuesday, March 7. According to one time conversion Web site, that's also:

12 noon in U.S. PST
2 pm in U.S. CST
3 pm in U.S. EST
8 pm in the UK
9 pm on the Continent
9 am on Wed., March 8, in New Zealand

and assorted other times in other places. The recommendation to confirm your time conversion applies more strongly than usual.

Don’t Reply to this message with your definition, as that will publish it to the group.

New players are welcome! Full rules at http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules <http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules> .

Efrem

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

emallach@verizon.net March 9th, 2017 09:49 AM

[Dixonary] Round 2785 results: FEERIN

The extended voting time resulted in one more vote. An hour and half of additional lateness in my group's schedule didn't result in any more. So, here we go:

A feerin is a furrow plowed as a guide for subsequent work, definition 5. When the first two players to vote picked it I was afraid of a debacle, but fortunately only one more did. I think John Barr's comments, sent in his email telling me that he's DQ, are interesting enough as background to repeat here (which I hope he won't mind):
> Feerin ... most likely comes from a word which means plough furrow-lines that define an area - not applicable today when farmers use reversible ploughs and just go up a furrow, turn round, reverse the plough and come back down. In the old days the ploughman cut a set of (usually single furrow) lines to break the field into areas. When and where I grew up these lines were called feerin. Then the plough went down one line and across the top of the field to go down the other line - a series of circles (but not ploughed in the headlands which were ploughed afterwards) ending up with an area with furrows all lying one-way next to an area furrows all lying the other way.. (these were called plaithes) Necessarily the initial lines had to be accurate to not leave gaps unploughed or overturning earlier ploughing and it was a skill that not all ploughmen had. (We had big fields (for England) most people carefully paced out their lines and needed markers at each end to get the distances correct but I knew an old guy who did it with his normal eight-share plough and never got off his tractor - he said he counted its revs!! and claimed that if a person couldn't plough a straight line without markers then they weren't real ploughmen) the size of the plaithes is very traditional - what a pair of oxen could plough in a day - a furlong
>

Despite his DQ, John gets the next deal with four votes for his worthless fairy gold. Guerri Stevens is the traditional "winnah" with the same score of 4, but two of her points came from choosing the correct definition. She benefits from Chris Carson's vote, which came in during the extended voting period.

Full results:

1. fairy-like. From Lodge, T. who voted 8, 11. Voted for by: Naylor, S. Score: 1.

2. an invocation. From Stevens, G. who voted *5*, 11. Voted for by: Carson, C.; Bourne, T. Score: 4.

3. [Obs.] foreign. From Widdis, D. who voted 6, 11. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

4. an early, crudely made musket. From Carson, C. who voted 2, 8. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

5. a furrow plowed as a guide for subsequent work. From Dictionary who did not vote. Voted for by: Stevens, G.; Bourne, T.; Chapple, D. Score: 3.

6. a particularly obnoxious monkey of Southeast Asia. From Abell, T. who did not vote. Voted for by: Widdis, D. Score: 1.

7. expected expenses for a journey or a business scheme. From Hale, K. who voted 9, 11. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.

8. Trees blown down, or branches blown off by the wind; brushwood. From Naylor, S. who voted 1, 9. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Carson, C. Score: 2.

9. [Colloq. Southern USA] a warm gust of wind that precedes a thunderstorm. From Shefler, M. who did not vote. Voted for by: Hale, K.; Naylor, S.; Chapple, D. Score: 3.

10. a dark grey mineral constituting one of the primary sources of iron ore, principally as magnetite. From Bourne, T. who voted 2, *5*. Voted for by: None. Score: 2.

11. fairy gold paid to humans (valueless, for it turns to dust in daylight); hence anything worthless. From Barrs, J. who was DQ. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Stevens, G.; Widdis, D.; Hale, K. Score: 4.

No definition from Chapple, D. who voted *5*, 9. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 2.

Yours again, John. I'm sure you have another word tucked away.

Efrem

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.

Shani Naylor March 9th, 2017 12:07 PM

Re: [Dixonary] Round 2785 results: FEERIN

I also got a vote from Mike Shefler, taking my total to 3.

On 10/03/2017 4:49 AM, <emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:

> The extended voting time resulted in one more vote. An hour and half of
> additional lateness in my group's schedule didn't result in any more. So,
> here we go:
>
> A feerin is a furrow plowed as a guide for subsequent work, definition 5.
> When the first two players to vote picked it I was afraid of a debacle, but
> fortunately only one more did. I think John Barr's comments, sent in his
> email telling me that he's DQ, are interesting enough as background to
> repeat here (which I hope he won't mind):
>
> Feerin ... most likely comes from a word which means plough furrow-lines
> that define an area - not applicable today when farmers use reversible
> ploughs and just go up a furrow, turn round, reverse the plough and come
> back down. In the old days the ploughman cut a set of (usually single
> furrow) lines to break the field into areas. When and where I grew up these
> lines were called feerin. Then the plough went down one line and across the
> top of the field to go down the other line - a series of circles (but not
> ploughed in the headlands which were ploughed afterwards) ending up with an
> area with furrows all lying one-way next to an area furrows all lying the
> other way. (these were called plaithes) Necessarily the initial lines had
> to be accurate to not leave gaps unploughed or overturning earlier
> ploughing and it was a skill that not all ploughmen had. (We had big fields
> (for England) most people carefully paced out their lines and needed
> markers at each end to get the distances correct but I knew an old guy who
> did it with his normal eight-share plough and never got off his tractor -
> he said he counted its revs!! and claimed that if a person couldn't plough
> a straight line without markers then they weren't real ploughmen) the size
> of the plaithes is very traditional - what a pair of oxen could plough in a
> day - a furlong
>
> Despite his DQ, John gets the next deal with four votes for his worthless
> fairy gold. Guerri Stevens is the traditional "winnah" with the same score
> of 4, but two of her points came from choosing the correct definition. She
> benefits from Chris Carson's vote, which came in during the extended voting
> period.
>
> Full results:
>
> 1. fairy-like. From Lodge, T. who voted 8, 11. Voted for by: Naylor, S.
> Score: 1.
>
> 2. an invocation. From Stevens, G. who voted *5*, 11. Voted for by:
> Carson, C.; Bourne, T. Score: 4.
>
> 3. [Obs.] foreign. From Widdis, D. who voted 6, 11. Voted for by: None.
> Score: 0.
>
> 4. an early, crudely made musket. From Carson, C. who voted 2, 8. Voted
> for by: None. Score: 0.
>
> 5. a furrow plowed as a guide for subsequent work. From Dictionary who did
> not vote. Voted for by: Stevens, G.; Bourne, T.; Chapple, D. Score: 3.
>
> 6. a particularly obnoxious monkey of Southeast Asia. From Abell, T. who
> did not vote. Voted for by: Widdis, D. Score: 1.
>
> 7. expected expenses for a journey or a business scheme. From Hale, K. who
> voted 9, 11. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.
>
> 8. Trees blown down, or branches blown off by the wind; brushwood. From
> Naylor, S. who voted 1, 9. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Carson, C. Score: 2.
>
> 9. [Colloq. Southern USA] a warm gust of wind that precedes a
> thunderstorm. From Shefler, M. who did not vote. Voted for by: Hale, K.;
> Naylor, S.; Chapple, D. Score: 3.
>
> 10. a dark grey mineral constituting one of the primary sources of iron
> ore, principally as magnetite. From Bourne, T. who voted 2, *5*. Voted for
> by: None. Score: 2.
>
> 11. fairy gold paid to humans (valueless, for it turns to dust in
> daylight); hence anything worthless. From Barrs, J. who was DQ. Voted for
> by: Lodge, T.; Stevens, G.; Widdis, D.; Hale, K. Score: 4.
>
> No definition from Chapple, D. who voted *5*, 9. Voted for by: N/A. Score:
> 2.
>
> Yours again, John. I'm sure you have another word tucked away.
>
> Efrem
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

--

Efrem Mallach March 9th, 2017 12:54 PM

I didn't see Mike's vote at all, in another of those Google Groups glitches that I referred to in a later message. In checking Google Groups directly, I see that he voted for 2 and 8. As well as giving you a third point, that brings Guerri Stevens's total to 5 - breaking the tie with John Barrs, and, in theory, earning Guerri the next deal.

John has, however, already dealt a word in good faith. I have no idea how far the process of defining "sprunt" has gone. I'll let Guerri and John decide between themselves if they want to switch the deal to Guerri or let her owe John a future one.

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> On Mar 9, 2017, at 1:07 PM, Shani Naylor <shani.naylor (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> I also got a vote from Mike Shefler, taking my total to 3.
>
> On 10/03/2017 4:49 AM, <emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net <mailto:emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net>> wrote:
> The extended voting time resulted in one more vote. An hour and half of additional lateness in my group's schedule didn't result in any more. So, here we go:
>
> A feerin is a furrow plowed as a guide for subsequent work, definition 5. When the first two players to vote picked it I was afraid of a debacle, but fortunately only one more did. I think John Barr's comments, sent in his email telling me that he's DQ, are interesting enough as background to repeat here (which I hope he won't mind):
>> Feerin ... most likely comes from a word which means plough furrow-lines that define an area - not applicable today when farmers use reversible ploughs and just go up a furrow, turn round, reverse the plough and come back down. In the old days the ploughman cut a set of (usually single furrow) lines to break the field into areas. When and where I grew up these lines were called feerin. Then the plough went down one line and across the top of the field to go down the other line - a series of circles (but not ploughed in the headlands which were ploughed afterwards) ending up with an area with furrows all lying one-way next to an area furrows all lying the other way. (these were called plaithes) Necessarily the initial lines had to be accurate to not leave gaps unploughed or overturning earlier ploughing and it was a skill that not all ploughmen had. (We had big fields (for England) most people carefully paced out their lines and needed markers at each end to get the distances correct but I knew an old guy who did it with his normal eight-share plough and never got off his tractor - he said he counted its revs!! and claimed that if a person couldn't plough a straight line without markers then they weren't real ploughmen) the size of the plaithes is very traditional - what a pair of oxen could plough in a day - a furlong
>>

>
> Despite his DQ, John gets the next deal with four votes for his worthless fairy gold. Guerri Stevens is the traditional "winnah" with the same score of 4, but two of her points came from choosing the correct definition. She benefits from Chris Carson's vote, which came in during the extended voting period.
>
> Full results:
>
> 1. fairy-like. From Lodge, T. who voted 8, 11. Voted for by: Naylor, S. Score: 1.
>
> 2. an invocation. From Stevens, G. who voted *5*, 11. Voted for by: Carson, C.; Bourne, T. Score: 4.
>
> 3. [Obs.] foreign. From Widdis, D. who voted 6, 11. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.
>
> 4. an early, crudely made musket. From Carson, C. who voted 2, 8. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.
>
> 5. a furrow plowed as a guide for subsequent work. From Dictionary who did not vote. Voted for by: Stevens, G.; Bourne, T.; Chapple, D. Score: 3.
>
> 6. a particularly obnoxious monkey of Southeast Asia. From Abell, T. who did not vote. Voted for by: Widdis, D. Score: 1.
>
> 7. expected expenses for a journey or a business scheme. From Hale, K. who voted 9, 11. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.
>
> 8. Trees blown down, or branches blown off by the wind; brushwood. From Naylor, S. who voted 1, 9. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Carson, C. Score: 2.
>
> 9. [Colloq. Southern USA] a warm gust of wind that precedes a thunderstorm. From Shefler, M. who did not vote. Voted for by: Hale, K.; Naylor, S.; Chapple, D. Score: 3.
>
> 10. a dark grey mineral constituting one of the primary sources of iron ore, principally as magnetite. From Bourne, T. who voted 2, *5*. Voted for by: None. Score: 2.
>
> 11. fairy gold paid to humans (valueless, for it turns to dust in daylight); hence anything worthless. From Barrs, J. who was DQ. Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Stevens, G.; Widdis, D.; Hale, K. Score: 4.
>
> No definition from Chapple, D. who voted *5*, 9. Voted for by: N/A. Score: 2.
>
> Yours again, John. I'm sure you have another word tucked away.
>
> Efrem
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

--

Johnb - co.uk March 9th, 2017 02:24 PM

It is very early in the round and no one has submitted a def yet so...
I'll sort it out with Guerri and get back to you

*JohnnyB*
On 09/03/2017 18:54, Efrem Mallach wrote:
> I didn't see Mike's vote at all, in another of those Google Groups
> glitches that I referred to in a later message. In checking Google
> Groups directly, I see that he voted for 2 and 8. As well as giving
> you a third point, that brings Guerri Stevens's total to 5 - breaking
> the tie with John Barrs, and, in theory, earning Guerri the next deal.
>
> John has, however, already dealt a word in good faith. I have no idea
> how far the process of defining "sprunt" has gone. I'll let Guerri and
> John decide between themselves if they want to switch the deal to
> Guerri or let her owe John a future one.
>
> Efrem
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>> On Mar 9, 2017, at 1:07 PM, Shani Naylor <shani.naylor (AT) gmail (DOT) com
>> <mailto:shani.naylor (AT) gmail (DOT) com>> wrote:
>>
>> I also got a vote from Mike Shefler, taking my total to 3.
>>
>> On 10/03/2017 4:49 AM, <emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net
>> <mailto:emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net>> wrote:
>>
>> The extended voting time resulted in one more vote. An hour and
>> half of additional lateness in my group's schedule didn't result
>> in any more. So, here we go:
>>
>> A feerin is a furrow plowed as a guide for subsequent work,
>> definition 5. When the first two players to vote picked it I was
>> afraid of a debacle, but fortunately only one more did. I think
>> John Barr's comments, sent in his email telling me that he's DQ,
>> are interesting enough as background to repeat here (which I hope
>> he won't mind):
>>>
>>> Feerin ... most likely comes from a word which means plough
>>> furrow-lines that define an area - not applicable today when
>>> farmers use reversible ploughs and just go up a furrow, turn
>>> round, reverse the plough and come back down. In the old days
>>> the ploughman cut a set of (usually single furrow) lines to
>>> break the field into areas. When and where I grew up these lines
>>> were called feerin. Then the plough went down one line and
>>> across the top of the field to go down the other line - a
>>> series of circles (but not ploughed in the headlands which were
>>> ploughed afterwards) ending up with an area with furrows all
>>> lying one-way next to an area furrows all lying the other way.
>>> (these were called plaithes) Necessarily the initial lines had
>>> to be accurate to not leave gaps unploughed or overturning
>>> earlier ploughing and it was a skill that not all ploughmen had.
>>> (We had big fields (for England) most people carefully paced out
>>> their lines and needed markers at each end to get the distances
>>> correct but I knew an old guy who did it with his normal
>>> eight-share plough and never got off his tractor - he said he
>>> counted its revs!! and claimed that if a person couldn't plough
>>> a straight line without markers then they weren't real
>>> ploughmen) the size of the plaithes is very traditional - what a
>>> pair of oxen could plough in a day - a furlong
>>>

>> Despite his DQ, John gets the next deal with four votes for his
>> worthless fairy gold. Guerri Stevens is the traditional "winnah"
>> with the same score of 4, but two of her points came from
>> choosing the correct definition. She benefits from Chris Carson's
>> vote, which came in during the extended voting period.
>>
>> Full results:
>>
>> 1. fairy-like. From Lodge, T. who voted 8, 11. Voted for by:
>> Naylor, S. Score: 1.
>>
>> 2. an invocation. >From Stevens, G. who voted *5*, 11. Voted for
>> by: Carson, C.; Bourne, T. Score: 4.
>>
>> 3. [Obs.] foreign. From Widdis, D. who voted 6, 11. Voted
>> for by: None. Score: 0.
>>
>> 4. an early, crudely made musket. From Carson, C. who voted 2, 8.
>> Voted for by: None. Score: 0.
>>
>> 5. a furrow plowed as a guide for subsequent work. From
>> Dictionary who did not vote. Voted for by: Stevens, G.; Bourne,
>> T.; Chapple, D. Score: 3.
>>
>> 6. a particularly obnoxious monkey of Southeast Asia. From Abell,
>> T. who did not vote. Voted for by: Widdis, D. Score: 1.
>>
>> 7. expected expenses for a journey or a business scheme. From
>> Hale, K. who voted 9, 11. Voted for by: None. Score: 0.
>>
>> 8. Trees blown down, or branches blown off by the wind;
>> brushwood. From Naylor, S. who voted 1, 9. Voted for by: Lodge,
>> T.; Carson, C. Score: 2.
>>
>> 9. [Colloq. Southern USA] a warm gust of wind that precedes a
>> thunderstorm. From Shefler, M. who did not vote. Voted for by:
>> Hale, K.; Naylor, S.; Chapple, D. Score: 3.
>>
>> 10. a dark grey mineral constituting one of the primary sources
>> of iron ore, principally as magnetite. From Bourne, T. who voted
>> 2, *5*. Voted for by: None. Score: 2.
>>
>> 11. fairy gold paid to humans (valueless, for it turns to dust in
>> daylight); hence anything worthless. From Barrs, J. who was DQ.
>> Voted for by: Lodge, T.; Stevens, G.; Widdis, D.; Hale, K. Score: 4.
>>
>> No definition from Chapple, D. who voted *5*, 9. Voted for by:
>> N/A. Score: 2.
>>
>> Yours again, John. I'm sure you have another word tucked away.
>>
>> Efrem
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>> Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>> send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
>> <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups "Dixonary" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>> send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
>> <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
> <mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--