Tapcis Web Forums

Tapcis Web Forums (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tapcis Support (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ask your Tapcis questions here! (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12)

bob(mc) November 9th, 2005 05:45 PM

Lindsey said:
> I'm a little short of online time at the moment

And I'm off to Scotland until Nov.19th <g> I'll see if I can capture the screen. Do you want it posted here in due course if I can?

I'll have a look at the the Classic CompuServe Support forum when I get a chance.

Many thanks for your efforts.

Lindsey November 9th, 2005 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob(mc)
I'll see if I can capture the screen. Do you want it posted here in due course if I can?

Sure! And I or someone will try to figure out what is going on.

Have a good trip to Scotland! I've been reading quite a lot about ancient Scotland, lately--a book tracing the "real history" of King Arthur, who, according to the author, was based largely in the area between the two Roman walls, with his primary seat at Carlisle. Lancelot, according to this book, was in reality a King Anguselus (whose name translated to Old French as L'Anselot) whose kingdom was in the vicinity of Edinburgh and Stirling.

--Lindsey

bob(mc) April 25th, 2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

Lindsey said:
> I'm a little short of online time at the moment

And I'm off to Scotland until Nov.19th <g> I'll see if I can capture the screen. Do you want it posted here in due course if I can?

I'll have a look at the the Classic CompuServe Support forum when I get a chance.

Many thanks for your efforts.

I gave up in the end and cancelled my (unused) subscription in the end :o

Judy G. Russell April 25th, 2006 10:46 PM

Quote:

I think most of us ended up doing the same...

Lindsey April 25th, 2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Just to clarify: You were the one who was off to Scotland, was going to capture the error messages on the screen and check the Classic Support Forum.

Frankly, though, if you have another e-mail account you can use, I think you're much better off at this point using that rather than CompuServe. Without a good spam filtering system, CompuServe mail has become all but unusable.

--Lindsey

bob(mc) May 8th, 2006 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell
I think most of us ended up doing the same...

You've made me feel better already Judy :)

bob(mc) May 8th, 2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsey
Just to clarify: You were the one who was off to Scotland, was going to capture the error messages on the screen and check the Classic Support Forum.

Frankly, though, if you have another e-mail account you can use, I think you're much better off at this point using that rather than CompuServe. Without a good spam filtering system, CompuServe mail has become all but unusable.

--Lindsey

You have it in one Lindsay. The on;y reason I was 'holding on' was to catch up on my mail. Unfortunately I can't remember who had my CompuServe address, but a relative told me (by snail mail) that an e-mail had bounced so I was able to catch that one.

Judy G. Russell May 8th, 2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

You've made me feel better already Judy :)

Good. No reason to feel guilty about that decision!

Lindsey May 8th, 2006 09:47 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately I can't remember who had my CompuServe address

You can still use TAPCIS to read your saved MAIL.MSG file offline. You could go through it and be sure that all of the people in it that you wanted to correspond with had your new e-mail address.

--Lindsey

bob(mc) May 11th, 2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsey
You can still use TAPCIS to read your saved MAIL.MSG file offline. You could go through it and be sure that all of the people in it that you wanted to correspond with had your new e-mail address.

--Lindsey

Care to expand on how Lindsay?

davidh May 11th, 2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

I think the assumption might be that you have had TAPCIS installed on a PC for some more or less lengthy period of time and that incoming messages to your Classic Compuserve email address have been accumulating in the INBOX of TAPCIS on your PC during such a period.

If that is not the case then there might be few or no messages in your TAPCIS installation to scan for the names and email addresses of your correspondents to notify them of your new address, etc.

Of course, if you actually have to re-install TAPCIS even to have any TAPCIS software to run on your computer, then the INBOX in TAPCIS would initially be EMPTY and the ONLY messages you might be able to access would be those still remaining to be downloaded from your Classic Compuserve account.

However, if you DO have some TAPCIS message files stored on some disks (e.g. floppies, CD's, etc.) then it would be possible to read those message files on a different installation of TAPCIS from that installation on which the messages were originally received from Compuserve. If this is the situation that you are in, it is highly likely that Lindsey or somebody else in this forum would be able to help you further.

I don't have TAPCIS installed on my computer any more. I don't subscribe to Compuserve any more. But I sure did like the TAPCIS program when I was a Compuserve Classic user.

Hope that helps.

David H.

not a sysop ;)

Lindsey May 11th, 2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Well, there are a number of ways to do that, depending on just how you have TAPCIS set up, and what the current status of your MAIL.MSG file is, but one way should always work is to start TAPCIS, press <R> to <R>ead files, and then choose MAIL.MSG from the pick list that pops up.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell May 12th, 2006 10:04 AM

What I did when I was ready to close my CServe account completely was open MAIL.MSG in Tapcis and then isolate the last 120 days worth of mail (use the View function to set the dates). Then I simply did a copy-and-paste of any relevant email addresses and sent a single email to everyone on that list advising them of the change of address.

Jeff May 12th, 2006 01:12 PM

Old, old, real old, school here; still @compuserve.com

- Jeff

Lindsey May 12th, 2006 08:33 PM

Oh! Of course; I misunderstood his question. For some reason, I thought he was asking how to open the file.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell May 12th, 2006 09:44 PM

Once I developed my own website, there just wasn't any reason to keep the compuserve email address, Jeff, especially since all I ever got at that address was spam.

heinz57g May 14th, 2006 02:28 PM

hey, above brought up an interesting question: how many of us still use TAPCIS for mail actually? how many on a daily basis, how many mails/day, how many just occasionally?

wondering if this question will be read here, or if it should be moved to another section to get solid answers.

are there any estimates, or educated guesses, how many people still use TAPCIS out there that might NOT be members here?

greetings - heinz -

Judy G. Russell May 14th, 2006 07:14 PM

We don't have any way of knowing, Heinz. We certainly tried to reach everyone we knew of who had any connection with Tapcis in the weeks before this forum opened, to replace the one CServe closed. But since there are no cookies left and no continuing registration fees, it's anybody's guess.

heinz57g May 15th, 2006 05:43 AM

well, any chance of finding out by putting this question up front where everybody would read it? your move.

or ''any educated guesses''? from you, lindsey, jeff , and the many others in the know?

is there any listing or voting feature on the forum for things like this?

in find it intriguing ... and most interesting. you dont?

greetings - heinz -

davidh May 15th, 2006 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinz57g
well, any chance of finding out by putting this question up front where everybody would read it? your move.

or ''any educated guesses''? from you, lindsey, jeff , and the many others in the know?

is there any listing or voting feature on the forum for things like this?

in find it intriguing ... and most interesting. you dont?

greetings - heinz -

If the Compuserve Classic private forums (including the adult rated forums) are still using the CIS HMI protocol then there may still be some sysops using TAPCIS to manage forums ?

If you still have an account, you might post such a question in a forum such as the adult intimate chat forum (maybe that was not the actual name).

Perhaps someone in the Classic support forum or perhaps Matt (sysop in practice forum) would know answer to such questions? (web view forums)

David H.