Tapcis Web Forums

Tapcis Web Forums (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Use and Help (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Some questions (and answers) (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103)

Judy G. Russell May 31st, 2005 01:36 PM

Some questions (and answers)

Here's some info posted in reply to a private message that I thought might help (plus perhaps others have better ideas, too!):

1) How the heck do I edit my name that displays? I see some people have their real name, others UserID type names (like mine). I've been through the User CP and can't find the secret, if there is one.

At the moment, you need to ask an administrator to do that. I'm still trying to find the way to let members edit their own names.

2) What is the best way to navigate back to the forum thread list after reading through a thread. I've been using IE's <back> arrow but it seems like there should be an easier way.

There are several ways. You can click on the track information at the top to go back to the forum thread list (look right under the logo at the top and you'll see hotlinks to the thread, section, etc.). You can use the Forum Jump box on the bottom. And while reading messages you may see a Previous Thread - Next Thread pair of hotlinks just above the quick reply box. (You may need to change your display mode to hybrid or threaded for that.)

3) (I know, I said a couple, but I lied) Do read messages ever get marked? I seem to read each thread from the beginning each time I visit.

Yes. Look at a thread tree (hybrid view or threaded view) and you'll see that messages that aren't new have a blue icon in front while ones that are new are yellow (no matter what I said the first time!). You can also go to new messages/threads by clicking on the New Posts link each time you visit and you can return to that as often as you'd like during each log-in.

Am I missing a "how to file somewhere that would explain some of the intricacies of how the forum works in general? Oops ... that was 4.

There's a FAQ that's pretty basic (link at the top). As time goes by we hope to make it better.

Dan in Saint Louis May 31st, 2005 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell
messages that aren't new have a yellow icon in front while ones that are new are blue

Mine seem to be the other way around?

Judy G. Russell May 31st, 2005 03:05 PM

Oooooops... off to edit the original post. (Thanks, Dan.)

yankeeharp August 21st, 2005 04:17 AM

How do I get an avatar to appear? Thanx.

Charlotte

Dan in Saint Louis August 21st, 2005 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeeharp
How do I get an avatar to appear? Thanx.

Does "User Control Panel, Edit Avatar" work?

Judy G. Russell August 21st, 2005 10:00 AM

In the upper left hand corner of any forum page, under the logo, there's a link that reads User CP (user control panel). Click on that link, then on the left hand side there will be a series of links to edit all kinds of user options. One of them is Edit Avatar, which is what you want even if you don't yet have an avatar to edit. The prompts once you're there are pretty self-explanatory.

yankeeharp August 22nd, 2005 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Saint Louis
Does "User Control Panel, Edit Avatar" work?

No. I tried that. I get the edit avatar script, but when I press the radio button to change it, nothing happens. I.e., -->

yankeeharp August 22nd, 2005 04:32 AM

Quote:

One of them is Edit Avatar, which is what you want even if you don't yet have an avatar to edit.

Oh, I have whacking great quantities of avatars ( http://ourworld.cs.com/omsapphire/avatars/ ), I just can't find a way to upload one (see above reply). :confused:

Dan in Saint Louis August 22nd, 2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeeharp
No. I tried that. I get the edit avatar script, but when I press the radio button to change it, nothing happens.

Scroll down to "Custom Avatar".

bob(mc) August 22nd, 2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Saint Louis
Scroll down to "Custom Avatar".

Don't see that anywhere! Should it be under User CP?

yankeeharp August 22nd, 2005 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob(mc)
Don't see that anywhere! Should it be under User CP?

I don't see it either. Perhaps it will appear when we have posted a certain number of times and have been upgraded to "Member" from "registered user".

Judy G. Russell August 22nd, 2005 01:47 PM

Yes, but you need to be a member (sorry -- I forgot about that detail). Post a message in the Request for Access section...

Judy G. Russell August 22nd, 2005 01:48 PM

Yup, you got it. It's a members only feature. (Sorry, I forgot about that.) Pop on down to Requests for Access and post there. It's the one and only time we'll ask for a name.

yankeeharp August 22nd, 2005 02:50 PM

Quote:

Yes, but you need to be a member (sorry -- I forgot about that detail). Post a message in the Request for Access section...

OK -- done. I didn't ask before, though I was a registered member with essate access, because I couldn't see much use for a section based on help with a program that, sadly, I can no longer use.

I expect I shall get a PM for my ID details? My cs id is 75443,631; I expect I could dredge up my Tap code if necessary.

Judy G. Russell August 22nd, 2005 04:10 PM

Nope, no details necessary -- the userid is enough.

yankeeharp August 23rd, 2005 02:23 AM

Quote:

Nope, no details necessary -- the userid is enough.

OK. Thanks.

Dan in Saint Louis April 16th, 2007 11:31 AM

Please remind me -- are there "Ignore Forum" and "Ignore Thread" features? How to do? Thanks!

Judy G. Russell April 16th, 2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Saint Louis (Post 32187)
Please remind me -- are there "Ignore Forum" and "Ignore Thread" features? How to do? Thanks!

Not built in, but if there's enough demand for it, there's an add-on we could consider.

Dan in Saint Louis April 16th, 2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell (Post 32191)
Not built in, but if there's enough demand for it, there's an add-on we could consider.

Was there before the upgrade? Because I only started getting the Dixonary threads in the past few days. I thought when this site opened there was a way to ignore that section.

Something else new is "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." That's curious, because I leave a "clean slate" behind me each time I visit.

Judy G. Russell April 16th, 2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Saint Louis (Post 32206)
Was there before the upgrade? Because I only started getting the Dixonary threads in the past few days. I thought when this site opened there was a way to ignore that section.

I suspect you have your bookmark set to do a getnew that excludes the for-real The Parlor section but now that we have a test section for Google, you're seeing that. Try bookmarking this:
http://www.tapcis.com/forums/search....w&exclude=5,22
I think you'll have to tell it to remember you for this to work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Saint Louis (Post 32206)
Something else new is "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." That's curious, because I leave a "clean slate" behind me each time I visit.

Yep, that's new in the new software. I haven't quite figured out what triggers it. I just always hit the Quick Links, Mark Forums as Read option.