Tapcis Web Forums

Tapcis Web Forums (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/index.php)
-   The TapRoom (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Alaska March 20 aurora slideshow (http://www.tapcis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7254)

Judy G. Russell March 23rd, 2009 11:21 PM

Alaska March 20 aurora slideshow

Can't figure out a way to embed it here, but there's a halfway decent slideshow of the shots of the March 20 aurora borealis to be found here.

Peter Creasey March 24th, 2009 08:36 AM

Judy, Very nice!

What are the bright lights on the ground, the white ones and especially the orange ones?

Dan in Saint Louis March 24th, 2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Creasey (Post 53474)
What are the bright lights on the ground, the white ones and especially the orange ones?

I'm guessing moonlight and moonshadows?

Judy G. Russell March 24th, 2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Creasey (Post 53474)

The very small bright white lights are cameras! The larger bright white lights are usually vehicle headlights and the orange ones are from the outdoor lighting where we were staying -- all CFL stuff -- shining on the snow.

Judy G. Russell March 24th, 2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Saint Louis (Post 53475)
I'm guessing moonlight and moonshadows?

No moonlight, just ambient outdoor lights.

Jeff March 24th, 2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell (Post 53458)
Can't figure out a way to embed it here, but there's a halfway decent slideshow of the shots of the March 20 aurora borealis to be found here.

Oooo, that's good, very good. Which for some reason led me to wonder why NASA has never published pictures of it from above. You have to be below the atmosphere to see it, maybe?

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell March 24th, 2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 53484)
Oooo, that's good, very good.

Thanks, Jeff!

Quote:

Which for some reason led me to wonder why NASA has never published pictures of it from above. You have to be below the atmosphere to see it, maybe?

The aurora can be seen from space -- see this image. What was cool when we watched this March 20 aurora was that the University of Alaska at Fairbanks fired a rocket into it to conduct tests and we were able to see that as well! See this press release.

sidney March 25th, 2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Oooo, that's good, very good. Which for some reason led me to wonder why NASA has never published pictures of it from above. You have to be below the atmosphere to see it, maybe?

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...mg_2005254.jpg

Quote:

The IMAGE satellite captured this view of the aurora australis (southern lights) on September 11, 2005, four days after a record-setting solar flare sent plasma—an ionized gas of protons and electrons—flying towards the Earth. The ring of light that the solar storm generated over Antarctica glows green in the ultraviolet part of the spectrum, shown in this image. The IMAGE observations of the aurora are overlaid onto NASA’s satellite-based Blue Marble image. From the Earth’s surface, the ring would appear as a curtain of light shimmering across the night sky.

Lindsey March 25th, 2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell (Post 53458)

Great pictures -- and I enjoyed the music as well. Watching it even made me feel cold!

I had to use IE to watch the slideshow, though -- my old Mozilla won't handle it, the only PC I've got Firefox on is the one at work, and the firewall at work was evidently blocking something that kept the slideshow from playing. :(

Judy G. Russell March 25th, 2009 10:43 AM

Wooooo... Sidney that is way cool, and a whole lot better than the shot I found!

Judy G. Russell March 25th, 2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsey (Post 53508)
Great pictures -- and I enjoyed the music as well. Watching it even made me feel cold!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsey (Post 53508)
I had to use IE to watch the slideshow, though -- my old Mozilla won't handle it, the only PC I've got Firefox on is the one at work, and the firewall at work was evidently blocking something that kept the slideshow from playing. :(

It's a WMV file converted to flash by Smugmug, so it could be any number of things blocking it.

Jeff March 25th, 2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidney (Post 53507)

Senior moment strikes again. APOD is a daily visit for me, and I did find Judy's picture: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap051105.html which I'd forgotten about. But they don't seem to have your IMAGE picture in the archive, which is passing strange as it's so good.

- Jeff

sidney March 25th, 2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 53530)
APOD is a daily visit for me, and I did find Judy's picture: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap051105.html which I'd forgotten about. But they don't seem to have your IMAGE picture in the archive, which is passing strange as it's so good.

That's from their Earth observatory Image Of The Day website (I put the hot link on the picture) which is about Earth images, as opposed to the Astronomy Photo Of the Day. I guess there is overlap between the two topics when it is an image of the Earth from space, but mostly they have different content.

Lindsey March 25th, 2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell (Post 53529)
It's a WMV file converted to flash by Smugmug, so it could be any number of things blocking it.

And where our corporate firewall is concerned, it's really hard to tell. It even blocked the display of the pictures in the other thread -- possibly because they were on what Websense deems a "personal web site." Salon.com had a technology column that I think they no longer feature (I can't remember the name, only that the guy who wrote it had an Eastern name) whose URL for whatever reason was not at www.salon.com, but <something else>.salon.com, and Websense blocked it as a "personal web site." Very frustrating, and also frustrating when I'm looking for information about some technical subject and what looks like just what I'm looking for ends up being blocked by Websense. :mad:

Anyway, on my laptop, at least, I can see them.

Judy G. Russell March 25th, 2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsey (Post 53541)
And where our corporate firewall is concerned, it's really hard to tell. It even blocked the display of the pictures in the other thread -- possibly because they were on what Websense deems a "personal web site."

Yeah, it's a Smugmug site with a subdomain link (photos.jgrussell.com) so Websense might have had a problem.

Lindsey March 25th, 2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy G. Russell (Post 53544)
Yeah, it's a Smugmug site with a subdomain link (photos.jgrussell.com) so Websense might have had a problem.

Websense drives me absolutely bonkers, but I have to admit that it, or something like it, is an unfortunate necessity on a corporate network.

Judy G. Russell March 26th, 2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsey (Post 53548)
Websense drives me absolutely bonkers, but I have to admit that it, or something like it, is an unfortunate necessity on a corporate network.

Too true, and I'm not sure how you could make it both effective and less intrusive.

Jeff March 26th, 2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidney (Post 53534)
That's from their Earth observatory Image Of The Day website (I put the hot link on the picture) which is about Earth images, as opposed to the Astronomy Photo Of the Day. I guess there is overlap between the two topics when it is an image of the Earth from space, but mostly they have different content.

Well now, that you did and it hid. I just didn't mouse over the picture. Ah, how did you embed a hotlink like that?

- Jeff

Judy G. Russell March 26th, 2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 53565)
Ah, how did you embed a hotlink like that?

First insert the link (http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...mg_2005254.jpg) using the Insert Link function, so that you will have the link inside the URL code then just insert the img code:

Code:

[img][/img]
around the text of the link.

Mike March 27th, 2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindsey (Post 53548)

Thee three employers I've had since the Internet became popular did not use any sort of blocking software on the corporate networks, although all made it clear that they could if they wanted.

Employees who didn't get their jobs done were disciplined. If an employee spent a lot of time on the 'net but still got his/her job done, then the company didn't care.